PETALING JAYA: Due to pressure from animal welfare groups and the public, Alor Setar City Council (MBAS) has decided to extend the evacuation notice to the shelter operated by Muhammad Azmi Ismail.
Muhammad Azmi, or affectionately known as Pak Mie, told The Star Online that he was informed by Alor Setar MP Gooi Hsiao Leung that the demolition, supposed to take place Thursday, has been postponed.
"YB Gooi met personally with the mayor Datuk Mat Noh Ahmad and he agreed to extend the eviction notice until December," he said, adding an official letter of the decision would be released soon.
It was reported previously that Pak Mie and his wife were left in a bind after MBAS told them to evacuate by Sept 19.
They were also turned away from an alternative site in Kuala Nerang, some 37km away from Alor Setar, by the Padang Terap District Council.
Pak Mie said that he felt relieved upon learning the decision, as he would have more time to find an alternative site for his shelter.
"When I was told that we were given more time to evacuate, I felt relieved and couldn't thank Gooi enough for his hard work."I would also like to thank the mayor and Kedah exco Badrul Hisham Hashim for their help and co-operation," he said.