Telcos agree to defer 6% service tax until further notice


  • Nation
  • Tuesday, 13 Sep 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Telecommunication companies have agreed to defer the 6% service tax for prepaid users, which was to come into effect on Thursday.

The agreement was reached during a meeting with the four major telecommunication firms at Angkasapuri here, said Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.

“The meeting with the managements of Celcom, Maxis, DiGi and U Mobile was held in a cordial atmosphere.

“They responded positively to the ministry's advice, the views of the Government and the sentiments expressed by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak on the matter,” Dr Rais told reporters yesterday after the hour-long meeting.

The companies were represented by their chief executive officers Datuk Seri Shazalli Ramly (Celcom), Henrik Clausen (DiGi Group), Sandip Das (Maxis Group) and Dr Kaizad Heerjee (U Mobile).

The companies, which previously absorbed the 6% tax, had announced last week that it would be imposed on prepaid users whenever they bought a starter SIM pack or reloads.

Dr Rais said the deferment would enable the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) to review the matter and determine the best time to implement both the tax and new rates.

He said the Cabinet would be updated on the meeting, add- ing that he hoped the issue would no longer be raised because the telcos had agreed to defer the tax.

Dr Rais said he would recommend to the Government to provide the telcos with some incentives.

“This is to show some appreciation towards the telcos' positive response. They have paid RM6bil in service tax since 1998.”

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights
   

Next In Nation

Penang allows congregational prayers based on mosque capacity from Saturday (Sept 18) for fully vaccinated
Health DG: Four Covid-19 cases detected after screenings of those leaving for Langkawi
Syed Saddiq issued letter of demand over allegations to destabilise Bersatu
TMJ: Johor Covid-19 task force to improve system used to screen, isolate, monitor and treat patients
Sabah needs full RM480mil allocation for flood mitigation, says Kitingan
Setting-up isolation centre for entry of foreign workers a right move to ease shortage of workers, says ACCCIM
PM’s assurance to address MA63 issues shows he understands needs of Sabah and Sarawak, says PBS
EMCO in two localities in Pahang and Sabah from Sept 19-Oct 2
Govt to channel RM500mil aid to SMEs from Sept 21, says PM
Covid-19: 19 new clusters reported on Friday (Sept 17), 11 linked to workplaces

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers