A GRANDFATHER, who was suffering from senility and stroke, managed to save his family during a fire but died of smoke inhalation later, reported Sinar Harian.
Retired teacher Omar Ismail, 78, had woken up his family to rush them out of their home in Telipot, Kota Baru, when the fire broke out at around 4.30am on Thursday.
Omar's wife Hasnah Mustafa, 70, said her husband had woken her up before rushing to help their children and grandchildren.
“I was surprised when I didn't see him follow us out of the house. Perhaps he had gone back to try to put out the fire,” she said, adding that Omar was suffering from senility and had recently had a stroke.
“I tried to search for my husband in the thick smoke but found him collapsed in a room,” she said.
> Kosmo! reported that a couple's joy of having a newborn baby was short-lived when their 14-day-old child died after he choked on milk.
Baby Muhamad Nazrul Nizam, the third child of Wan Mazariah Wan Abdul, 39, and Mazalan Mansor, 38, was declared dead at Tumpat Hospital, at 6am on Thursday.
Wan Mariah said her child had seemed fine the night before.
“But when my husband and I checked on our baby at 5.30am, his body was limp. We rushed him to the hospital but were told that he had died from choking on milk.
“He had been crying a lot since afternoon and didn't want to be fed with a bottle, which was very odd,” said Wan Mariah.
Tumpat deputy OCPD Deputy Supt Sharifuddin Yusof said police did not suspect foul play.
Muhamad Nazrul was buried at the Kutan Muslim graveyard.
Other News & Views is compiled from the vernacular newspapers (Bahasa Malaysia, Chinese and Tamil dailies). As such, stories are grouped according to the respective language/medium. Where a paragraph begins with a > sign, it denotes a separate news item.
Did you find this article insightful?