SUBANG: The first batch of 89 humanitarian relief aid workers from Malaysia returned from a 10-day search and rescue operation in Aceh on Saturday night.
The first flight from Aceh, a Royal Malaysian Air Force C130 Charlie landed at the TUDM Base in Subang at 8.30pm with 48 on board while the second flight arrived at 10.50pm from Medan with the rest of the team.
The team members underwent a medical check-up on arrival and are expected to be quarantined for one or two days before they can go home.
Head of the Malaysian Humanitarian Relief Aid Mission Dziyauddin Othman said the medical check-up was a precautionary measure to ensure that they were free from any diseases.
“So far, I’m glad that nobody has complained of any sickness or shown any sign of infection, which is beginning to grip Banda Aceh,” he said.
Dziyauddin said he was happy with the level of professionalism and discipline shown by every member of the mission despite facing an arduous task in the devastated Aceh province.
Meanwhile, Commander of the Smart team, DSP Ahmad Zailani Yaacob, expressed his sadness at not being able to help some of the victims of the deadly earthquake and tsunami that hit Aceh.
“We tried our best to help those who were trapped under the rubble but most of them were already dead,” he said.
DSP Ahmad Zailani said that working in Aceh was a very challenging and depressing experience, especially as there were dead bodies everywhere. – Bernama