MELBOURNE: Malaysian-born model Sarah Marbeck, who is in the centre of a sex scandal involving England soccer captain David Beckham, said she decided to go public on the alleged affair because she put two years of her life on hold as she waited for him.
“He said he loved me and I slept with the phone by my bed waiting for it to ring. Finally, I accepted that my relationship with Beckham was over and I decided to move forward with my life,” she said in a statement issued here by her lawyer yesterday.
Marbeck, 29, said her life had changed forever and that there was no way back for her.
Claiming that she was not a “celebrity seeker”, she said she was “shocked by the intense level of public interest in my life”.
However, she promised more revelations about the affair in News of the World tabloid next week.
The paper, which reported that Beckham, 28, had a sexual romp with his personal assistant Rebecca Loos, 26, between September and December, highlighted Marbeck’s alleged affair with Beckham last Sunday.
Marbeck said she intended to remain in Australia and thanked her family for their support.
“I apologise if I had hurt or embarrassed my family. I know I am not perfect and I have made some mistakes. I am not proud of everything I have done but there is more of my personal story to come in the News of the World next week.”
Her mother Elizabeth said in the same statement that she was aware of her daughter’s relationship and had supported her decision to go public.
In London, David and his wife Victoria said they had called in lawyers over the allegations reported by the tabloid.
In a brief statement, the celebrity couple dismissed what they called “absurd and unsubstantiated claims”.
Beckham had already dismissed as “ludicrous” claims by Loos, his former personal secretary, that she had sex with the midfielder in Madrid.
A spokesman for the Beckhams said: “This weekend even more absurd and unsubstantiated claims have been published about David and Victoria Beckham. The couple continue to dismiss these stories and they will not be commenting upon them further at this time.”
Speculation about Beckham’s five-year marriage first began when he moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid last summer.
His wife has refused to move to Spain, determined to pursue her own pop career in Britain and keep the couple’s two children with her.
Last week, sexually explicit text messages said to have been sent between Beckham and Loos unleashed a storm of speculation when they were published in tabloid newspapers.
Then on Saturday, Loos, who lost her job as Beckham’s assistant in Spain when he ditched her public relations company, was quoted in The Sun tabloid as telling a friend that she had had an affair with him.
Loos, the daughter of a Dutch diplomat and an English mother, was photographed with Beckham in a Madrid nightclub last September, prompting rumours of an affair at the time.
Victoria Beckham has insisted that her marriage will not be wrecked by the allegations.
“We have been through a lot worse than this and we’re definitely going to get through this,” she said after the first wave of allegations was published.
We're sorry, this article is unavailable at the moment. If you wish to read this article, kindly contact our Customer Service team at 1-300-88-7827. Thank you for your patience - we're bringing you a new and improved experience soon!