Putra Heights inferno: More than 150 household heads affected receive house rental aid


BANTING: The Selangor government has channelled three months of house rental assistance to more than 150 families affected by the recent gas pipeline fire in Putra Heights, Subang Jaya.

State housing and culture committee chairman Datuk Borhan Aman Shah said RM2,000 a month in house rental aid was provided by the Selangor Housing and Property Board.

He said the aid is transferred to the bank accounts of the household heads concerned.

"The instruction by the Selangor Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Amirudin Shari is to ensure the money, amounting to RM6,000 for three months' rental,  is deposited directly into the victims’ accounts,” he told reporters after the groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the Kampung Sungai Buaya Modern Crematorium Project, Kuala Langat, at a shopping mall here, Tuesday (April 29).

The event was also attended by Selangor Investment, Trade and Mobility Committee chairman  Ng Sze Han.

Previously, Amirudin was reported to have said that 396 household heads affected by the Putra Heights fire tragedy were eligible to receive house rental aid of RM2,000 a month for six months.

In a related development, Borhan said the state government was still looking into the form of assistance to be given for the reconstruction of houses damaged in the fire.

"The matter is still being discussed with the Housing and Local Government Ministry and related agencies,” he said.

The fire, which broke out on April 1, resulted in 81 houses being destroyed, with more than 40% structural damage, while 81 houses were categorised as partially destroyed, 57 houses were affected but not burned, and 218 houses were not affected.

Meanwhile, Ng said the construction of the modern crematorium, to begin at the end of the year, is expected to cost about RM5mil and take 18 months to complete.

It will be built on a 0.404 hectare site and would be equipped with three cremation units built using modern technology that emphasises operational efficiency, user safety and environmental preservation, he added. - Bernama

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Nation

Both PAS, Bersatu to play hardball on chairman post at Perikatan Supreme Council meet today
Miri man duped out of RM230,000 in fake investment scheme
Cops nab smash-and-grab suspect who targeted parked cars at MRT stations
Social media user hauled up over X post insulting Terengganu royal family
Domestic Trade Ministry mobilises 2,400 enforcement officers for Ops Pantau 2026
Floods: 245 evacuated in Tawau
MCA open to work with ex-Bersatu members
Pangolin still in danger despite reduced threat in Sabah
Economic opportunities for Penang predicted to prosper mid-2026
Broader statutory body to oversee premium crops

Others Also Read