KUALA LUMPUR: Bukit Aman will work with their counterparts in Seoul over investigations into an alleged theft by a Malaysian at a casino there.
South Korean investigators found several billion won in cash at the residence of a female Malaysian executive, a key suspect in the case, who was in charge of handling funds at the casino.
Bukit Aman CID deputy director Deputy Comm Datuk Dev Kumar said their counterparts have yet to reach out.
"We will contact our counterpart in Seoul through Interpol.
"We will try to get more details on this case, including her identity and whereabouts," he said when contacted on Thursday (Jan 14).
Bernama reported that South Korean police on Wednesday (Jan 13) discovered a pile of cash worth 8.1 billion won (RM29,882,347) at a resort casino on Jeju Island, potentially linked to an alleged theft by an employee.
Jeju Provincial Police Agency said investigators are trying to confirm whether the bank notes found in a safe at the casino are part of the 14.56 billion won (RM53,724,778) that went missing from the Landing Casino at Jeju Shinhwa World last week.
Investigators also discovered several billion won in cash at the residence of a female Malaysian executive, a key suspect in the case, who was in charge of handling funds at the casino.
Landing International Development Ltd., the Hong Kong-based operator of the Jeju casino, disclosed the cash disappearance on its website last week and filed a police report through its local affiliate, Landing Entertainment Korea.
Last week, police embarked on a massive manhunt for the woman, having secured security camera footage from the casino.
According to police, video recordings at the time of the alleged cash theft had been erased.
Did you find this article insightful?
88% readers found this article insightful