Task force to tackle flash floods


Mohamad Fazli (right) receiving a framed photo of an aerial view of the ‘S’ bend project along Jalan Johor Baru-Ayer Hitam from state Works Department director Abu Bakar Abd Aziz in Kulai.

JOHOR has established a task force following two major flash flood incidents that hit Johor Baru in early December.

State works, transportation and infrastructure committee chairman Mohamad Fazli Mohamad Salleh said the task force comprised representatives from Johor Baru City Council (MBJB), Iskandar Puteri City Council (MBIP), state Works Department (JKR) and Johor Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID).

“The task force has identified 44 locations around Johor Baru that are prone to flash flooding, causing parts of the city to be inundated whenever a downpour occurs.

“Based on the findings, we have set a target to resolve the issue in at least 10 out of the 44 locations this year,” he added.

The Bukit Pasir assemblyman said among the measures that would be carried out included improving the drainage system, adding more water pumps and building new flood walls, especially in low-lying areas.

In early December, flash floods occurred in Johor Baru following a downpour due to the monsoon season.

On another matter, Mohamad Fazli said the completed “S” bend project along Jalan Johor Baru-Ayer Hitam in Kulai would benefit road users.

He added that the project, which cost RM9.5mil, would improve road safety.

Mohamad Fazli said the 1.3km “S” bend project was completed on Nov 21 and JKR had handed it over to the Johor Economic Planning Division (BPEN).

“We have a year before handing it over to the Federal Government as the allocation came from the state government.

“Prior to the upgrading works, this section of the road was accident-prone because of a sharp bend and steep terrain in the area,” he said.

“This road is equipped with streetlights now to ensure motorists can see the road clearly.”

He added that the state government had also categorised three road projects as “sick” but they would be completed in 2024.

So far, he added, works on these “sick” projects started at Jalan Kempas in Johor Baru and Kampung Rahmat in Batu Pahat, while the project at Kampung Sawah in Pontian was still at the tender process.

“Johor JKR is currently working hard to complete all of these projects and the estimated cost comes to RM11.9mil for Jalan Kempas and RM3mil for Kampung Rahmat and Kampung Sawah.

“These roads will be monitored by the state JKR director, who will make sure they are completed on schedule,” he said.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

flash floods , task force , flash flood ,

   

Next In Metro News

State govt evicts over 1,200 tenants at flats
Dos and don’ts in hiking
Varsity in Sarawak focuses on giving back to community
Rescuers from fire dept talk of uphill challenges
Nourishing a family legacy
‘Stick to marked trail when hiking in Bukit Wawasan’
Heritage trustees converge on George Town
Land office response at public hearing leaves stakeholders stumped
Wastewater firm marks 30th anniversary with theatrical production
‘Don’t take up any more pond land’

Others Also Read