IN response to concerns about safety of recreational activities in Lumut, the local government has announced a series of measures to ensure the well-being of tourists.
Perak housing and local government committee chairman Sandrea Ng said Manjung Municipal Council (MPM) and Maritime Department (JLM) had collaborated to implement these measures.
She said JLM had intensified its presence at various recreational sites in Lumut, particularly during weekends and public holidays.
This is to ensure that all boats operating in these areas are licensed and comply with safety regulations.
“MPM has also increased patrols at beaches and reminded boat operators to require passengers to wear life jackets,” she said during the Perak state assembly sitting yesterday.
All boat crew members and passengers, she said, must wear life jackets at all times and the maximum passenger capacity for each boat was set at 12 people.
Ng added that loudspeakers were being used at Teluk Batik to broadcast safety reminders to tourists.
“Informational flyers containing safety awareness messages will be distributed, especially during public holidays and school breaks,” she said.
Ng was replying to Datuk Abdul Yunus Jamahri (PN-Kuala Kurau) who asked whether action had been taken to ensure the safety of tourists who participated in beachside recreational activities.
On Aug 28, two people were brought to shore after the boat they were in capsized at Teluk Batik.
One of the victims, Nurul Afiqah Abdullah Sani, 34, from Bagan Tiang Parit Buntar, died at Seri Manjung Hospital on Aug 29.
Manjung OCPD Asst Comm Mohamad Nordin Abdullah had said that those who travelled in the boat had not worn life jackets and the boat operator was not registered.
In reply to Abdul Yunus on whether action was taken against the boat operator, Ng said JLM had referred the investigation papers to the deputy public prosecutor (DPP) on Nov 24.
She said the DPP had requested further investigation of the case to bring charges.
“Since the incident, MPM ordered the operator to cease operations and issued a safety notice to all operators,” she said, emphasising that non-compliant operators risked getting their licences revoked.