Kg Sg Baru residents: Renegotiate before ordering us to leave


Kampung Sungai Baru is a traditional village sandwiched between Akleh and Kampung Baru in Kuala Lumpur. — Filepic

THE Kampung Sungai Baru redevelopment saga in Kuala Lumpur has flared up again and this time, it is over a notice for the remaining homeowners to vacate their homes by Oct 4.

The notice issued by Federal Territory Land and Mines Office (PTGWP) warned that legal action awaited those who failed to comply.

It also stated that the law provided for a fine not exceeding RM500,000 or imprisonment of up to five years for those occupying government land illegally.

Kampung Sungai Baru Terrace Homes and Flats Owners Action Committee secretary Wan Abdillah Wan Embong rejected the notice and urged Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to intervene.

ALSO READ: Last batch of Kg Sg Baru residents to move out

“Earlier this year, Anwar said that all redevelopment projects in Kuala Lumpur would be halted pending renegotiations with residents.

“This has not happened in Kampung Sungai Baru, and yet the authorities are asking us to leave our homes and have given very short notice,” said Wan Abdillah.

He highlighted that the notice was sent out earlier this month.

He said 37 terrace house owners were also unsatisfied with the compensation given by the developer.He noted that two independent consultants valued the land at RM2,000 per square foot (psf), but residents were paid only about RM400psf.

“Renegotiation must take place to ensure a win-win solution for all parties,” he said, adding that the homeowners had valid grants for their land.

StarMetro’s report on Dec 27, 2022.StarMetro’s report on Dec 27, 2022.

Sandwiched between the Ampang-Kuala Lumpur Elevated Highway (Akleh) and Kampung Baru, the village has 264 PKNS flats and 64 terrace houses.

The buildings are located on a 5.23ha leasehold plot owned by Kampung Baru Development Corporation (PKB).

The redevelopment plan began in 2016, which included building a mixed development high-rise.

ALSO READ: Expedite project in Kampung Sungai Baru, urge most residents

More than 60 engagement sessions were held until Oct 7, 2020, which saw 219 (67%) owners agreeing to the deal.

Residents were promised units of the completed project and cash as part of their compensation, which was based on the floor size of their homes.

Controversy erupted early last year after a group of residents protested against the plan, giving the low compensation as reason.

This stalled the redevelopment project, prompting the developer to use the Land Acquisition Act 1960 to take over the land.

PTGWP then issued a notice explaining the takeover process, after which 72 more flats owners reportedly gave their consent.

Developer Ritzy Gloss Sdn Bhd director Abdul Hadi Ahmad said the residents received a three-month extension prior to the eviction notice.

“All compensation has also been paid. We will put up hoarding around the area before starting construction,” he said.

Titiwangsa MP Datuk Seri Johari Abdul Ghani said the issue had dragged on and those who needed more time to vacate should talk to the developer.

“Nearly 98% of residents have moved and have been waiting five years for the promised units.

“The government has given its approval for the redevelopment project to resume because it has been delayed for too long.”

PKB, however, has yet to respond to requests for a comment at press time.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In Metro News

Make a positive impact on nature
RM400,000 for landslide repairs
Volunteers plant 1,000 mangrove trees in Merbok Forest Reserve
Longer flood wall for Kinrara monsoon drain
MP urges Sibu agency to upgrade facilities, ensure water supply
Cruise line celebrates in style
Hospital launches 5km run for stroke awareness
Charity dinner raises RM60,000 for underprivileged children
Logging off for better mental well-being
‘Sri Petaling road now a racetrack’

Others Also Read