THE Penang Badminton Association’s badminton courts in Bukit Dumbar are set to reopen on Monday after being closed for three months during the movement control order (MCO).
Its president Kah Kau Kiak said the reopening would allow 74 players representing the state to resume training and the public to return and play.
“In compliance with the standard operating procedure for social distancing, the players will not come in at the same time.
“We will break them into sessions to train intensively following the three-month break from practice, ” he said.
Although grateful to operate again, Kah said many customers have cancelled their bookings, causing their income to plunge.
“Our main income to upkeep the place including the academy comes from court rentals.
“Due to the poor economy, many companies who rent the courts for their employees on a weekly basis and private individuals have withdrawn their regular bookings.
“So far, about 10% of our clients have withdrawn their bookings and we are finding a hard time looking for substitutes for their slots, ” he said.
Apart from the standard preparations such as having body temperature scanners and personal details recording for contact tracing, Kah said the courts would be sanitised and cleaned regularly.
There will also be stickers and warning signs placed around.
On practising adequate social distancing, Kah hoped the players would be disciplined on the courts.
“Each court has over 800sq ft of space.
“Most players who come are elderly who play doubles and only the strong players will play single, ” he added.
Did you find this article insightful?
100% readers found this article insightful