World War One movie 1917 and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," set in 1960s Tinseltown, won the top movie prizes at the Golden Globes on Sunday on a night packed with upsets.
1917 was named best drama, beating presumed front-runners The Irishman and Marriage Story, both from Netflix, while the nostalgic Once Upon A Time In Hollywood from Sony Pictures won for best comedy or musical, as well as two other statuettes.
British director Sam Mendes was also named best director for his immersive 1917 from Universal Pictures. "That is a big surprise," said Mendes, who beat Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino.
Joaquin Phoenix, who played a terrifying Joker, and Renee Zellweger, who played Judy Garland in Judy took the drama movie actor honours.
Taron Egerton (Rocketman) and Awkwafina (The Farewell) were first-time acting winners in the comedy/musical field. Tarantino took home the Golden Globe for the screenplay of his love letter to the industry, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, while Brad Pitt was a popular winner for playing a laid-back stunt double in the movie.
Laura Dern was named best supporting actress for her role as a ruthless divorce lawyer in Marriage Story, defeating presumed favourite Jennifer Lopez as a feisty pole dancer in Hustlers.
British comedian Ricky Gervais, hosting the awards ceremony for a fifth time, threw caution to the wind with expletives and jokes that drew mostly nervous laughter in the room of A-list celebrities. – Reuters
- Best film (drama): 1917
- Best film (musical or comedy): Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Best film (animated): Missing Link
- Best film (foreign language): Parasite
- Best director: Sam Mendes, 1917
- Best actor in a film (drama): Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
- Best actress in a film (drama): Renée Zellweger, Judy
- Best actor in a film (musical or comedy): Taron Egerton, Rocketman
- Best actress in a film (musical or comedy): Awkwafina, The Farewell
- Best supporting actor in a film: Brad Pitt, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
- Best supporting actress in a film: Laura Dern, Marriage Story
- Best score: Joker
- Best song: I’m Gonna Love Me Again, from Rocketman
- Best screenplay: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Did you find this article insightful?