Malaysia among those to testify at US import tariff hearing


U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross(pic) emphasized that Trump would have the final say, including on whether to exclude certain countries, such as NATO allies, from any actions.

WASHINGTON: The European Union, Japan, Canada, Malaysia, Mexico, along with automotive trade groups, Volkswagen AG, and the United Auto Workers union are among those scheduled to testify at a July 19 hearing on the Trump administration's investigation into whether imported autos and parts pose a national security threat, according to a document seen Thursday by Reuters.

The U.S. Commerce Department in May launched an investigation into whether imported vehicles pose a national security threat.

U.S. President Donald Trump has repeatedly threatened to impose a 20 or 25 percent import tariff on vehicles and parts.

Last month, two major U.S. auto trade groups warned that tariffs of up to 25 percent on imported vehicles would cost hundreds of thousands of jobs in auto manufacturing, dramatically raise prices on vehicles, and threaten industry investment on self-driving cars. Major automakers have also filed comments warning of job losses and lost sales.

At a July 19 hearing, those two groups, the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers and Association of Global Automakers, will testify, as will the National Automobile Dealers Association, National Association of Manufacturers, Motors & Equipment Manufacturers Association and groups representing German and Japanese automakers, according to a draft agenda not yet made public.

A Commerce Department spokeswoman declined to comment.

Among those testifying are Canada, the EU, Mexico, and South Africa's ambassadors to the United States, along with other government officials from Korea, Malaysia, Taipei, Turkey as well as the China Chamber of International Commerce. Executives from Volkswagen, Polaris Industries Inc , LG Electronics Inc <066570.KS>, auto parts firm Jtekt Corp <6473.T> and Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd

Some aides have said that Trump is pursuing the national security probe to put pressure on Canada and Mexico to agree to concessions in talks to renegotiate the North American Free Trade Agreement.

The Commerce Department had initially planned two days of hearings but now will hear testimony for one day.

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said in June he aimed to wrap up the probe into whether imported vehicles represent a national security threat by late July or August.

Ross said in May "there is evidence suggesting that, for decades, imports from abroad have eroded our domestic auto industry." He asked for comments on "domestic production needed for projected national defence requirements."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce noted U.S. auto production has doubled over the past decade, and said tariffs "would deal a staggering blow to the very industry it purports to protect and would threaten to ignite a global trade war."- Reuters

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
US , tariffs , trade , Ross , Malaysia , EU , Mexico , Volkswagen , testify , hearings , Trump , auto , automotive ,

Next In Business News

Jinhua – a trading hub without borders
Up in Arms - or up the value chain?
Asia bonds for diversification
Singapore’s financial sector a big winner
Smart city can’t beat the traffic
AI disruption fears rock markets
Powering a new reinvestment cycle as demand surges
Private equity hits a sixer
Dubai luxe property keeps booming
US LNG exporters lead in gas use

Others Also Read