Honda ready to revive takeover talks if Nissan CEO Uchida leaves, FT reports


-- Reuters

HONDA is willing to resume takeover talks to form the world's fourth-biggest carmaker, provided Nissan CEO Makoto Uchida steps down, the Financial Times reported on Monday, citing sources familiar with the discussions.

Last week, merger talks between Honda, Japan's second-largest automaker, and Nissan, its third, collapsed, ending plans to create a $60 billion car company.

This setback has plunged Nissan into further uncertainty, and highlights the pressure on legacy automakers from Chinese rivals disrupting the industry.

Honda is willing to revive negotiations under a new boss who can more effectively manage internal opposition, the FT report said on Monday.

Uchida has expressed his intention to stay until 2026, but is facing pressure to step down in the coming months from board members and partner Renault following his mismanagement of negotiations for a $58 billion megadeal, FT report said.

Nissan's board of directors has also started informal discussions regarding the timing of Uchida's departure, according to the report. - Reuters

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Honda , Nissan , merger

Next In Business

Asian shares mixed, bonds recover as oil eases on Trump's Iran comments
Sedania returns to profit in 3Q as consumer tech drives earnings higher
Ringgit opens slightly higher against US$ amid Middle East developments
Bursa bounces higher as corporate results trickle in
Trading ideas: Southern Score, Malakoff, WCT, Censof, L&G, Oppstar, Alam Maritim, HE, MKH, Sports Toto, SunCon, Capital A, KLK, Pharmaniaga, 99 Speed Mart
Nasdaq leads equity losses with oil, borrowing costs in focus
SC, Bursa Malaysia propose LEAP market 2.0 to boost MSME fundraising
Gulf investment paves way for US$13bil LNG export plant in US gulf coast
Stable mobile pricing to support Maxis in FY26
Central banks to step up gold-buying, aiding prices

Others Also Read