21 dead in India's Malviya Nagar inferno: Hotel cleared for 6 rooms, ran 25; sole exit, basement locked


- Photo: IANS

NEW DELHI: Twenty-one people were killed in the devastating Malviya Nagar fire on Wednesday (June 3) as investigators began examining a series of alleged safety and regulatory violations at the hotel-cum-guest house where the blaze broke out.

Preliminary findings suggest the establishment, which reportedly had permission to operate only six rooms, was running nearly 25 rooms and accommodating around 40 guests at the time of the tragedy. Most of those killed are believed to be African nationals staying at the property.

With 21 lives lost and several others battling injuries, authorities have begun examining whether any safety lapses at the property made it harder for people to escape. Questions are also being raised about the building’s safety features, with officials probing whether narrow windows and limited exits hampered efforts to escape the blaze.

Officials are also examining unverified claims that the basement was locked from the outside.

The fire broke out at Flourish Stay B&B in Malviya Nagar at around 8.48 am, triggering a massive rescue operation involving the Delhi Fire Services, police and disaster response teams.

According to Delhi Police, more than 40 people were rescued and shifted to hospitals, while 21 were declared dead.

(Left) Firefighters, police personnel and rescue teams conduct operations at the site of the deadly fire in Malviya Nagar, South Delhi. (Right) Occupants trapped inside the building await rescue as flames spread through the structure. - Photos: ANI/SNS
(Left) Firefighters, police personnel and rescue teams conduct operations at the site of the deadly fire in Malviya Nagar, South Delhi. (Right) Occupants trapped inside the building await rescue as flames spread through the structure. - Photos: ANI/SNS

People jumped to escape flames

Eyewitnesses described chaotic scenes as occupants struggled to find a way out of the building.

Several people reportedly jumped from upper floors after smoke and flames cut off escape routes. Local residents spread mattresses on the road below and used ropes in an effort to rescue those trapped inside.

One resident said cries for help could be heard from the upper floors as locals rushed to break windows and create escape paths.

Forensic team begins investigation

A forensic team visited the site on Wednesday afternoon as authorities began collecting evidence to determine the cause of the fire and whether any building, licensing or fire safety norms were violated.

Delhi Minister Ashish Sood said strict action would be taken against those found responsible.

“The building owner who is responsible for negligence will be arrested. We will not spare any illegal building, and those found guilty,” he said.

The minister said officials were examining whether the required permissions and clearances had been obtained for operating the establishment.

Several victims remain critical

Officials said dozens of injured people were admitted to hospitals across the city.

Max Hospital, Saket, said it received 39 patients, including 18 who were brought dead. Fifteen patients remain admitted in intensive care, with eight on ventilator support and in critical condition.

The hospital said the deceased included both Indian and foreign nationals.

The search and rescue operation concluded at 12.12 pm, according to DDMA officials, though investigators and forensic teams continued to examine the site late into the evening. - The Statesman/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Cambodia opens Senate building tied to sanctioned tycoon
What does a hit film about the Iraq war say about Chinese views of the world?
Almost 10 years’ jail for Singporean who abused primary school pupils, forced six-year-old boy to drink urine
Samsung SDI says to sell $3.2 billion worth of Samsung Display shares back to display maker
Philippine singer Vanessa Blanca dies at 30 after accidental fall in bathroom
Oil set for second weekly rise as unsettled US-Iran war crimps supply
Vermeer's 'Girl With A Pearl Earring' in Japan, perhaps for the last time
Corruption is corruption, not an issue of race or religion, says Anwar
Six individuals deny kidnapping Singaporean duo in JB
Northern Lao teas win big at Hong Kong International Tea Fair 2026

Others Also Read