[UPDATE] Man killed by great white shark in western Australia


SYDNEY: A man in his thirties was killed by a great white shark on Saturday (May 16) in western Australia, police and officials said.

The 38-year-old was bitten by the predator just before 10:00 am (0200 GMT) off Rottnest Island near the city of Perth, police said.

"Sadly, the man was unable to be revived," Western Australia police said.

The state's Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development said the man had been bitten by a four-metre-long great white.

It urged the public to take "additional caution" in waters around the area, a popular tourist destination.

It is the first fatal shark attack in Western Australia since March last year, when a surfer was mauled off a remote beach.

There have been nearly 1,300 shark incidents around Australia since 1791, of which more than 260 resulted in death, according to a database of the predators' encounters with humans.

Prior to Saturday the most recent fatality was a 12-year-old boy who died after being attacked by a shark in Sydney Harbour in January.

That attack was one of four recorded in the span of two days, which prompted officials to close dozens of the city's beaches.

It was the city's third recent shark-related death.

Australian scientists believe increasingly crowded waters and rising ocean temperatures are swaying sharks' migratory patterns, which may be contributing to a rise in attacks. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Australia , shark , man killed

Next In Aseanplus News

Schools temporarily closed in northern Myanmar as Ayeyawady River floods low-lying villages
Talent and worker influx lifts HK population to 7.51m at mid-year
Indonesia seizes 2.6 tonnes of meth in major bust
Vietnam's Central Highlands targets stronger co-operatives through digital transformation
Mexico backs Japan’s bid to increase Pacific bluefin tuna catch quota
China prepares to launch Chang'e-7 lunar probe
Pakistan expands Unesco World Heritage tentative list with 12 new sites
Bangladesh launches women-only "Pink Bus"
Mongolia to raise minimum wage to MNT 1 million from 2027
Grenade blast near school complex in Afghan capital wounds at least 42 children: UN

Others Also Read