JAKARTA (Bernama): Indonesia has confirmed that it did not pay the US$1 billion contribution linked to the Board of Peace (BoP), stating that the amount was not a mandatory membership fee.
Foreign Minister Sugiono said Indonesia is already a member of the board and that participation is not contingent upon any fixed financial contribution.
"Since the beginning, I’ve said that this is not a membership fee. It is not a membership requirement. We are now already a member; even if we do not pay, it is fine,” he said during a press briefing in Washington, US, on Friday evening local time.
A video of the press conference was uploaded on the President's Secretariat’s YouTube account on Saturday.
Sugiono explained that the US$1 billion figure had been discussed in relation to the permanent status within the board, but stressed that it was neither compulsory nor a prerequisite for membership.
"Some contribute money, some contribute troops… and some send individual contributions to an account at the World Bank,” he said.
During the BoP inaugural meeting in Washington, President Prabowo Subianto reaffirmed Indonesia’s commitment to contribute up to 8,000 troops, or more if necessary, to take part actively in the International Stabilisation Force (ISF) in Gaza, Palestine.
On the deployment, Sugiono said the cost of sending the troops would be borne by Indonesia.
He said Indonesia’s invitation to serve as one of the deputy commanders of the ISF was an honour and a recognition of the country’s track record and the reputation of Indonesian troops in various peacekeeping missions.
The position, he said, would also facilitate coordination and operational effectiveness within the mission.
Sugiono also noted that the presence of Chairman of the National Committee for Gaza Administration (NCAG) Ali Shaath at the BoP meeting ensured that Palestinian representatives were aware of and accepted the plan to deploy Indonesian personnel to the ISF.
He expressed hope that Indonesia’s participation in the ISF would help fulfil Ali Shaath’s call during the meeting to maintain the ceasefire and ensure a safe and stable environment during the recovery process in the Gaza Strip. -- BERNAMA
