Lab tests reveal E. coli contamination in free meals that sickened 800 students in Central Java


Amid mounting public pressure to suspend the programme, the BGN tightened food safety protocols in October, introducing measures including mandatory health certification for kitchens. - AFP

JAKARTA: Laboratory tests have confirmed E. coli contamination in food and water served under the free nutritious meal programme that sickened more than 800 students in Grobogan, Central Java earlier this month.

Grobogan Health Agency head Djatmiko said the bacteria were found in yellow rice, omelette, lettuce, cucumber and tempeh chips served to students.

“Tests also revealed E. coli contamination in the water used to cook the food. We will continue to investigate the case further,” he said on Monday (Jan 19), as quoted by Kompas.com.

E. coli is a type of bacteria normally found in the intestines of humans and animals. It is commonly transmitted through contaminated food, water or contact with infected animals, and outbreaks are often linked to undercooked meat, raw vegetables or unsafe water sources.

Djatmiko warned that contaminated food can cause digestive infections, with symptoms including abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea and fever.

“Children, the elderly and people with weak immune systems are particularly at risk,” he added.

On Jan 9, 803 students from kindergarten to senior high school in Gubug district, Grobogan regency reported nausea and vomiting after eating meals provided through the free meals programme, with at least 113 requiring hospitalisation.

Reza Mahendra, coordinator of the Central Java office of the National Nutrition Agency (BGN), said the agency has suspended operations at the kitchen that prepared the meals pending further investigation.

“Preliminary inspections show the kitchen failed to meet several BGN standards, including proper handwashing and fully covered wastewater treatment installations,” he said.

Since its launch on Jan 6, 2025, the free meals programme has been plagued by a series of food safety incidents, with more than 12,600 students reported to have suffered food poisoning last year, according to the Indonesian Child Protection Commission (KPAI).

Amid mounting public pressure to suspend the programme, the BGN tightened food safety protocols in October, introducing measures including mandatory health certification for kitchens.

BGN head Dadan Hindayana said the agency aims to eliminate food poisoning incidents entirely this year. However, he acknowledged that since the start of 2025 there have already been 10 food poisoning incidents nationwide, caused by violations of standard operating procedures by the kitchens preparing the meals.

“Although our goal is zero incidents this year, standard operation procedure violations still occur which has lead to food poisoning incidents,” he said on Tuesday.

Despite missing its zero-incident target, Dadan said food poisoning cases have continued to decline since the BGN introduced stricter food safety measures late last year and more kitchens received mandatory health certification.

Dadan added that 32 per cent of the 21,102 kitchens preparing meals for the programme have received food safety certification, and the BGN is working to gradually increase that number.

“We saw a peak in food safety incidents in October with 85 cases. Thankfully, the number fell to 40 in November 2025, dropped to 12 in December 2025, and so far there have been 10 cases in January,” he said.

To further improve food safety, Dadan said the BGN will conduct accreditation and certification of all kitchens nationwide starting this year.

He added that the process will be carried out by an independent third party and will assess nutritional standards, hygiene and overall food safety. Incentives for certified kitchens or programme partners will vary based on their audit performance, he said.

Dadan said the BGN plans to continue rapidly expanding the number of kitchens preparing meals for the free meals programme, aiming to reach around 36,000 this year to serve 82.9 million students nationwide. - The Jakarta Post/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Indonesia , free , meals , E. coli , food , contamination

Next In Aseanplus News

How did Putin and Trump's visits to China compare?
Xi and Putin unite to criticise US, but fail to clinch big gas deal
Buriram hold upper hand over Selangor after slim win in Shopee Cup first-leg final
When Putin met Xi: Was timing everything?
More than 130 arrested in Singapore in transnational scam crackdown linked to S$963mil in losses
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Wednesday (May 20, 2026)
Tang Jie-Ee Wei dispose of Canadian pair with ease to enter M’sian Masters second round
Fuel prices May 21-27: Diesel, unsubsidised RON95, RON97 prices increased
IJM Corp share acquisition: Two individuals under MACC investigation
Royal Press Office urges stern action over fake TikTok account impersonating, insulting King

Others Also Read