N. Korea plans nuclear boost


North Korean lea­der Kim Jong-un said Pyongyang will unveil a policy to advance both its nuclear arsenal and conventional military power at an upcoming key ruling party meeting, state media said.

Since a failed summit with the United States in 2019, North Korea has repeatedly said it will never give up its nuclear weapons and declared itself an “irreversible” nuclear state.

While Kim visited weapons rese­arch facilities this week, he said Pyongyang “would put forward the policy of simultaneously pushing forward the building of nuclear forces and conventional armed forces”, according to the state-run Korean Central News Agency.

He also emphasised the need to “modernise” the country’s conventional armed forces, without specifying the date of the party meeting.

Kim has been emboldened by the war in Ukraine, securing critical support from Russia after sen­ding thousands of North Korean troops to fight alongside Moscow.

Moscow and Pyongyang signed a mutual defence pact last year when Russian President Vladimir Putin visited the reclusive state.

Seoul has repeatedly warned that Russia is stepping up support for Pyongyang, including the poten­tial transfer of sensitive Russian military technology, in return for North Korea’s assistance in fighting Ukraine.

“In essence, it reflects (Kim’s) view that nuclear forces alone have limits as a deterrent, and that Pyongyang is seeking to boost its war-fighting capability by mod­er­nising its conventional arsenal,” Hong Min, a senior analyst at the Korea Institute for National Unification, told AFP.

“North Korea’s military technology cooperation with Russia seems to be also expanding into the conventional arms sector, and modernisation plans tailored to ‘modern warfare’ are likely to be laid out as a mid- to long-term agen­da” at the upcoming meeting, he added.

At the last party congress in January 2021, Kim unveiled an ambitious military agenda, pled­ging to develop advanced wea­pons such as military spy satellites and solid-fuel interconti­nen­tal ballistic missiles.

Analysts say they expect the upcoming meeting to be held early next year.

Kim and Putin flanked China’s President Xi Jinping at a massive parade in Beijing this month, drawing an acidic response from US President Donald Trump, who accused the three leaders of ­plotting against the United States. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

‘Stay vigilant even in peace,’ Hong Kong rural leader says in Lunar New Year prophecy
China's Dunhuang draws more tourists in winter
S'pore PM Lawrence Wong arrives in Malaysia for special visit
Budweiser and Heineken face polar opposite fates in China as punters favour home comforts
Fans flock to Japan zoo to see viral baby monkey Punch, finds comfort in stuffed orangutan, and charms crowd
PAS to discuss Opposition Leader position on Feb 22, says Hadi
EU deforestation regulations seen as opportunity for Cambodia's exporters
Anwar seeks swift passage of Bill limiting PM to two terms
Resistance leader in Myanmar turns himself in to army after clashing with rival force
Motorcycling-Aprilia's Martin cleared for MotoGP return at Buriram pre-season test

Others Also Read