Authorities lift Beijing rain alert


Taking a break: Workers having their lunch beside a mud-covered road strewn with debris following deadly floods in Taishitun village, Miyun. — AFP

Beijing lifted a severe weather alert but warned residents to stay vigilant against natural disasters after authorities evacuated more than 80,000 people over fears of more deadly floods in the Chinese capital.

The municipal weather office had imposed a red rainstorm warning – the highest in a four-tier system – on Monday, forecas­ting heavy downpours until yesterday.

The office lifted the alert early in the morning, saying in a social media statement the weather system had weakened as it drifted eastwards.

But it continued to warn of isolated downpours across outlying parts of the city, adding that people “must not let up after strong rains have passed” as landslides or other disasters may follow.

Authorities evacuated over 82,000 people at risk from heavy rainfall as of Monday evening, state news agency Xinhua said, citing the city’s flood control headquarters.

Officials warned of flooding risks in the northeastern suburb of Miyun – the hardest hit by the recent deluge – as well as southwestern Fangshan, western Men­tou­gou and northern Huairou.

Last week, floods in Beijing’s northern suburbs killed at least 44 people and left nine missing, according to official figures.

Some 31 fatalities occurred at an elderly care centre in Miyun, prompting a local official to admit “gaps” in disaster readiness.

“Our knowledge of extreme weather was lacking. This tragic lesson has warned us that putting the people first, putting human life first, is more than a slogan,” Yu Weiguo, Miyun’s ruling Com­munist Party boss, said at the time.

At a meeting on Monday, the municipal government stressed the need to “restore the normal order of life and production in post-disaster areas as quickly as possible”.

Urgent tasks included road repairs, electricity and water resumption and the refurbishment of schools, hospitals and elderly care homes, officials said, according to a statement on a city social media account.

China’s public security ministry has also warned people to be on guard against “rumours”, including exaggerating the extent of natural disasters to create panic, state broadcaster CCTV reported yesterday. — AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Myanmar denies UN allegations on widespread conflict-related sexual violence
Appeals loom after former South Korean president's life sentence for insurrection
Man slashes another over parking space dispute in Cheras
Six injured at naked festival in Japan’s Okayama Prefecture
Azam gives statement on shareholding issue to special probe panel
Six missing after boat collision in northern Vietnam
Sahur turns tragic as fire razes four homes in Kepala Batas
Voting begins in Laos' parliamentary elections
MACC detains T'ganu exco man in abuse of power probe
Brunei marks 42nd National Day on Monday (Feb 23)

Others Also Read