Next South China Sea code of conduct negotiations set in Singapore in last week of February


SINGAPORE/MANILA (Bernama-PNA): The next round of negotiations on a South China Sea (SCS) code of conduct (COC) will be held in the last week of February, the Philippines News Agency (PNA) reported, citing the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

At a press conference in Pasay City on Friday, DFA maritime affairs spokesperson Rogelio Villanueva said senior officials from China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) will meet in Singapore.

The increased frequency of talks aligns with the Philippines’ push, as this year’s ASEAN chair, to fast-track negotiations and finalise a COC by the end of 2026.

"As chair of the ASEAN, the Philippines has committed to pursue the momentum in the negotiations for the substantive and effective Code of Conduct,” Villanueva said.

"We are prepared to facilitate more meetings. Actually, we are holding, in coordination with the other ASEAN member states and China, monthly face-to-face meetings to increase the opportunity to sit down and negotiate,” he added.

On the bilateral front, Villanueva said the DFA continues to engage China to manage tensions and resolve the West Philippine Sea dispute through peaceful and diplomatic means.

Both sides are also discussing the schedule of the next Philippine-China Bilateral Consultation Mechanism (BCM) on the South China Sea.

He said the government is also strengthening alliances and partnerships to uphold a rules-based maritime order anchored in international law.

The Philippines currently maintains 11 maritime dialogues to boost its capabilities.

"Even as the DFA deepens alliances and partnerships with like-minded countries, it also maintains open lines of communication with the Chinese side in pursuit of candid, constructive dialogue and practical cooperation,” Villanueva said.

Meanwhile, he welcomed the Senate’s openness to hold talks with the Chinese Embassy in Manila following recent public exchanges.

Villanueva said the DFA sees the planned dialogue as "an opportunity for frank, cordial, and professional discussion - one that can candidly address divergent positions while also identifying areas of common understanding.”

The Senate is already coordinating directly with the embassy to set the meeting, he said.

"If the Senate reaches out to the DFA, definitely we are prepared to extend the necessary assistance,” Villanueva said. -- BERNAMA-PNA

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Philippine senator calls out China in visit to disputed island
Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Madani govt component parties must strengthen cohesion to realise people's mandate, says Zaliha
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’
Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list, says Hanoi
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
Myanmar issues complete ban on e-cigarettes and e-shisha
Muslims preserve Ramadan traditions and religious bonding all over South-East Asia, and even in Myanmar to Cambodia
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Autism among males and females more equal than thought�

Others Also Read