Trump says tariffs talks with China ‘moving along well’


US President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that talks with China on a tariff deal were “moving along well” and that the countries would reach a “fair” deal on trade, without offering additional details of the agreement.

“We’re moving along with China. We’re doing fine with China,” Trump told reporters before leaving a bill-signing ceremony at the White House.

“I think it’s going to work out very well. We’re right in step ... I think we’re going to have a very fair deal with China,” he added.

Though reporters asked about the talks, the president did not confirm that the US and China would extend their “pause” on tariffs that the world’s two largest economies have imposed on each other’s goods.

On Tuesday, delegations from the countries finished a third round of high-level talks in Stockholm, Sweden, ahead of an August 12 expiration of that pause.

Beijing and Washington had been expected to extend their tariff truce another three months, sources on both sides told the South China Morning Post before discussions began on Monday.

At separate briefings on Tuesday in Stockholm, US and Chinese negotiators, while calling their discussions “constructive”, diverged on the timing of the fresh tariff pause.

Li Chenggang, China’s vice-minister of commerce, told reporters that the two sides had reached a “consensus” concerning the pause extension, though he did not specify a date.

But US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent denied that any agreement on a new pause had been reached, insisting that nothing would be agreed to until Trump was briefed.

“I notice ... that the Chinese deputy minister did say that we had agreed on a pause,” Bessent said. “We have not. Nothing is agreed until we speak with President Trump.”

“I think our Chinese counterparts have jumped the gun a little and said that we do have an extension,” he told CNBC later.

En route to the US from Scotland on Tuesday, Trump confirmed that he would review the deal, telling reporters aboard Air Force One that “we’ll either approve it or not”.

The Stockholm talks, led by Bessent and Chinese Vice-Premier He Lifeng, were the third time the delegations had met in an effort to stabilise trade after both countries hiked tariffs on each other’s goods to triple-digit rates in April.

So far, Washington has only reached trade agreements with a handful of major partners, including Britain, Vietnam, Indonesia, Japan and the European Union, with countries other than China facing a Friday deadline to cut deals.

The Chinese embassy in Washington did not respond to a request for comment. This month it noted that China’s exports to the US declined by 24 per cent year on year in the second quarter of 2025, with the situation “equivalent to the first quarter of 2020 when the economy activity was stagnant” during the pandemic.

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
SCMP , Trump , China , Tariff Talks , Trade

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read