China extends visa-free entry to more than 70 countries


Foreign tourists are trickling back to China after the country loosened its visa policy to unprecedented levels. Citizens from 74 countries can now enter China for up to 30 days without a visa, a big jump from previous regulations.

The government has been steadily expanding visa-free entry in a bid to boost tourism, the economy and its soft power.

More than 20 million foreign visitors entered without a visa in 2024 – almost one-third of the total and more than double from the previous year, according to the National Immigration Administration.

“This really helps people to travel because it is such a hassle to apply for a visa and go through the process,” Georgi Shavadze, a Georgian living in Austria, said on a recent visit to the Temple of Heaven in Beijing.

While most tourist sites are still packed with far more domestic tourists than foreigners, travel companies and tour guides are now bracing for a bigger influx in anticipation of summer holiday goers coming to China.

“I’m practically overwhelmed with tours and struggling to keep up,” says Gao Jun, a veteran English-speaking tour guide with over 20 years of experience.

To meet growing demand, he launched a new business to train anyone interested in becoming an English-speaking tour guide.

“I just can’t handle them all on my own,” he said.

After lifting tough Covid-19 restrictions, China reopened its borders to tourists in early 2023, but only 13.8 million people visited in that year, less than half the 31.9 million in 2019, the last year before the pandemic.

In December 2023, China announced visa-free entry for citi­zens of France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain and Malaysia. Almost all of Europe has been added since then.

Travellers from five Latin American countries and Uzbekistan became eligible last month, followed by four in the Middle East. The total will grow to 75 on July 16 with the addition of Azerbaijan.

About two-thirds of the countries have been granted visa-free entry on a one-year trial basis.

For Norwegian traveller Oystein Sporsheim, this means his family would no longer need to make two round-trip visits to the Chinese embassy in Oslo to apply for a tourist visa, a time-­consuming and costly process with two children in tow.

“They don’t open very often, so it was much harder,” he said.

“The new visa policies are 100% beneficial to us,” said Jenny Zhao, a managing director of WildChina, which specialises in boutique and luxury routes for international travellers. She said business is up 50% compared with before the pandemic. — AP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

JDT lift sixth Malaysia Cup with 2-0 win over Kuching City
No enforcement on non-Muslim houses of worship pending guideline review
Former Hong Kong top scorer Mung Chiang to lead prestigious Northwestern University
China inventor creates sword-shaped aerial vehicle, bringing flying sword in fantasy novels to life
China is replacing Middle East oil with Xinjiang coal. What does it mean for the world?
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (May 23, 2026)
WHO says new hantavirus case among the Hondius ship's crew
'All gone dark' - Bad weather triggers major blackout issues across Indonesia's Sumatra, confirms top official
Thailand confirms it will tighten Ebola screening for travellers from high-risk areas
Rubio renews ties with India after Trump's China lovefest

Others Also Read