No casualties reported yet after explosion at East China chemical plant


There were no immediate details of casualties. - Photo: Screengrab from Weibo

BEIJING: A large explosion at a chemical plant in China's eastern province of Shandong sent thick plumes of smoke into the sky on Tuesday (May 27), state media reported, without giving details on casualties.

More than 200 emergency workers responded to the blast that shook a workshop of Shandong Youdao Chemical in the city of Weifang just before noon, sparking discussions on Chinese social media over the dangers of toxic gas exposure. Government officials urged emergency crews to quickly contain a fire at the facility and confirm the number of casualties.

State-backed Beijing News released footage of windows being ripped from their hinges by the explosion, while The Paper, another state-run outlet, reported that some residents' belongings had been blown out onto the street.

Fifty-five emergency vehicles and 232 first responders had been dispatched to the scene, the national Ministry of Emergency Management said in a statement.

The Weifang Ecological Environment Bureau has dispatched staff to test the site of the blast and advised nearby residents to wear face masks in the meantime, Beijing News reported.

Shandong Youdao Chemical is owned by Himile Group, which also owns listed Himile Mechanical, shares of which were down nearly 4% on Tuesday afternoon. Youdao was set up in August 2019 in the Gaomi Renhe chemical park in Weifang, its website says, and covers more than 47 hectares (116 acres), with more than 300 employees.

The firm develops, produces and sells technology for pesticides, pharmaceuticals and related chemical intermediates.

Blasts at chemical plants in China in recent years have included one in the northwest region of Ningxia in 2024 and another in the southeastern province of Jiangxi in 2023.

Two massive explosions at warehouses containing hazardous and flammable chemicals in the Chinese port city of Tianjin in 2015 killed over 170 people and injured 700 more, prompting the government to pass new laws covering chemical storage. - Reuters

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Washington offers US$200 million to boost the American smartphone industry in Indo-Pacific
Chinese scientists put quantum chaos in ‘slow motion’
Trump to remove Vietnam from restricted tech list, says Hanoi
India, Brazil sign mining pact as Modi targets $20 billion trade in five years
Myanmar issues complete ban on e-cigarettes and e-shisha
Muslims preserve Ramadan traditions and religious bonding all over South-East Asia, and even in Myanmar to Cambodia
US tariff ruling lifts market sentiment, positive for M'sian markets, say economists
Next South China Sea code of conduct negotiations set in Singapore in last week of February
Autism among males and females more equal than thought�
Indonesia’s narcotics agency calls for full vape ban over drug abuse risk

Others Also Read