Driver dies in car fire after accident on Singapore's Nicoll Highway; two taken to hospital


The man had reportedly been trapped inside his blazing Porsche. His age could not be immediately established.-- PHOTO: Screengrab from ALEX SOO (FACEBOOK) / LIANHE ZAOBAO

SINGAPORE (The Straits Times/ANN): A car driver died in a fire on Nicoll Highway after an accident involving five vehicles on March 2.

The man had reportedly been trapped inside his blazing Porsche. His age could not be immediately established.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) and police were alerted to the burning car on Nicoll Highway towards Guillemard Road, before the KPE entrance, at 2.10pm.

Firefighters extinguished the flames with a water jet. The man was found inside the charred wreckage of the car and pronounced dead at the scene by a paramedic.

In videos of the accident, a cobalt blue Porsche blows past several cars at high speed on the extreme right lane. The Porsche bounces in mid-air, before finally stopping at an angle on the road divider. -- PHOTOS: SCREENGRABS FROM FACEBOOK
In videos of the accident, a cobalt blue Porsche blows past several cars at high speed on the extreme right lane. The Porsche bounces in mid-air, before finally stopping at an angle on the road divider. -- PHOTOS: SCREENGRABS FROM FACEBOOK

Seven more people who were in the other cars were assessed by SCDF. Two men, aged 53 and 66, were taken conscious to Tan Tock Seng Hospital.

The cause of the fire is under investigation, said SCDF. Police investigations are also under way.

In two videos taken from dashcam footage of the accident uploaded on Facebook, a cobalt blue Porsche, which is flipped on its left side, blows past several cars at high speed on the extreme right lane.

It hits several cars in its path, causing serious damage to at least two vehicles.

The Porsche bounces in mid-air, before finally stopping at an angle on the road divider. After a beat, it bursts into flames that swallow the car.

In photos of the aftermath, the badly burnt luxury sedan has only its back still recognisable and intact.

The fiery accident is the latest in a recent spate of traffic combustions.

Three nights ago, on Feb 27, a six-car collision on the PIE near Paya Lebar left two of the vehicles in flames.

One car had caught fire in the crash, with the blaze spreading to the car behind it.

All six drivers involved, including one ComfortDelGro cabby, escaped without injury.

The fiery accident is the latest in a spate of traffic combustions in recent weeks. -- PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
The fiery accident is the latest in a spate of traffic combustions in recent weeks. -- PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO

On Feb 18, the SCDF had advised motorists to keep fire extinguishers in their vehicles, after an electric vehicle came alight on the BKE the night before.

One person had been taken to hospital with minor burns and three water jets were used to put out the blaze.

In a Facebook post, it said EVs are at higher risk of reignition, or a second fire, even after the first fire is extinguished, due to its lithium-ion batteries.

Car fires were slightly more common in 2024 than 2023, with 220 recorded incidents last year, up from 215 the previous year.

SCDF said the main causes were ignition sources, such as overheating and electrical faults in the engine compartment.

Only one car fire in 2024 involved an EV. - The Straits Times/ANN

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Singapore , Fiery Accident , One Dead

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read