Cambodia extends mine-free goal to 2030


PHNOM PENH (Xinhua): Cambodia has extended its mine-free goal to 2030 from the previous 2025 target, due to geographical difficulties for mine search and clearance along the border, a spokesperson for the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority (CMAA) said on Sunday.

Lang Kosal said minefields along the Cambodia-Thailand border are located in extremely difficult geographical mountainous terrain and heavily forested areas.

"These areas are densely contaminated, requiring more time and resources for teams to access and clear," he told Xinhua.

"Due to these challenges, we have decided to extend our mine/explosive remnant of war (ERW)-free goal to 2030," he added.

Kosal said the CMAA has been drawing up the National Mine Action Policy 2026-2030, setting out action plans and strategies to achieve the new target.

Cambodia is one of countries worst affected by landmines and ERWs. An estimated 4 million to 6 million landmines and other munitions had been left over from three decades of war and internal conflicts that ended in 1998.

The CMAA's report showed that from 1979 to 2024, landmine and ERW explosions had claimed 19,834 lives and maimed 45,252 others. - Xinhua

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Cambodia , Mine-Free , 2030 Target

Next In Aseanplus News

Fashion star and ASOS co-founder Quentin Griffiths dies in Thailand after balcony fall
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
Two Cambodian journalists appeal treason convictions over a photo from Thai border clash
Spring Festival travel rush dates back to ancient China, but only for the rich and powerful
Makkah's grand mosque welcomes Muslims on the first Friday of Ramadan
Japan travel warning after Hongkonger beaten with beer bottle in Sapporo
Japan PM Takaichi warns of China 'coercion', vows security overhaul
'Don't shoot the messenger', says Nurul Izzah in urging authorities to probe allegations into MACC chief's alleged shareholdings
Anwar holds talks with Singapore PM Lawrence Wong

Others Also Read