Three women charged for allegedly organising procession outside Istana in S'pore


(From left) Siti Amirah Mohamed Asrori, Annamalai Kokila Parvathi and Mossamad Sobikun Nahar leaving the State Courts on June 27, 2024. - Photo: ST

SINGAPORE: Three women who were allegedly involved in organising a procession without a permit along the perimeter of the Istana, which is a prohibited area, were charged in court on Thursday (June 27).

Mossammad Sobikun Nahar, 25, Siti Amirah Mohamed Asrori, 29, Annamalai Kokila Parvathi, 35, had purportedly organised the procession to show their support for the Palestinian cause, including soliciting attendance online.

Annamalai was charged with one count of abetment of organising a public procession in a prohibited area, while Mossammad and Amirah were each charged with one count of organising a public procession in a prohibited area.

They are offences under the Public Order Act.

Court documents showed Mossammad and Amirah had purportedly organised the procession along the perimeter of the Istana on Feb 2, 2024, between 2pm and 3pm, to publicise the cause.

Annamalai is said to have allegedly conspired with Mossammad and Amirah, as well as a number of other individuals including Alysha Mohamed Rahmat Shah, Anystashe Mohamed Rahmat Shah, to organise the procession.

The police in a statement on June 27 said a group of about 70 people had gathered outside a shopping mall along Orchard Road before walking as a group to the Istana while holding open umbrellas that were self-painted with a watermelon graphic.

The group did not have a permit to carry out the procession, the police said, adding that investigations into others who may have been involved in the same event are ongoing.

The prosecution on June 27 sought an adjournment in Amirah’s case, noting that she has another matter pending with the police. Details were not provided in court.

In their statement, the police said Annamalai was previously issued a stern warning on Dec 5, 2017, and a 24-month conditional warning on Nov 30, 2021, for her involvement in other public assemblies without a permit.

The three women were each offered bail of S$5,000.

The police said members of the public should not engage in activities that will damage the peace, public order and social harmony in Singapore.

“We understand that some people may feel strongly about the Israel-Hamas conflict, but they should not break the law to express their views, nor emulate the protestors in other countries.

“They could instead participate in the many forums and dialogues, and donation drives, which have been appropriately organised on the issue,” added the police.

If found guilty, the women could each face a fine of up to $10,000, or imprisonment for a term of up to six months, or both. - The Straits Times/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Singapore , Three , women , charged , procession , Istana

Next In Aseanplus News

Asean news headlines as of 10pm on Friday (May 22)
Ho Chi Minh City police dismantle inter-provincial drug ring, arrest 140
Cambodia releases rare crocodiles into Srepok River to support species recovery
Taxi driver named suspect in Indonesian rail tragedy as transport panel points to signalling flaws
Two Australian suspects in HCM City wanted for murder flee to Tay Ninh
Japanese fugitive faces deportation from Philippines after arrest for fraud, theft
Singapore Senior Minister of State Koh Poh Koon steps down from public office
Thailand and Japan discuss transnational crime and crackdown on scam network
Indonesia extends work-from-home policy amid West Asia tensions
Laos, Japan reaffirm close ties during courtesy visit to Crown Prince Akishino

Others Also Read