Indonesia evacuates hundreds near erupting volcano


Indonesia's Ibu volcano erupted at 9.12am for about five minutes, projecting ash into the sky as high as 5km, officials said. - PHOTO: AFP

JAKARTA (AFP): Hundreds of people living near an erupting volcano in eastern Indonesia have been evacuated after authorities raised its alert status to the highest level, an official said Friday.

Authorities raised the alert status for Mount Ibu, located on remote Halmahera island, to the highest level of a four-tiered system on Thursday after recording two huge eruptions for the second day in a row.

Residents in seven villages near Ibu -- which spewed ash and smoke 5,000 metres (16,400 feet) into the sky -- began evacuating to several shelters late Thursday after authorities raised the alert status, local disaster mitigation agency official Muhammad Ade Fabanyo told AFP.

"Until today, the evacuees continue to arrive and as of this morning, the preliminary data that we have is around 400 people (evacuated)," Ade said Friday.

He said the evacuation was a "preventive" measure taken by authorities since the residents were living around seven kilometres (4.3 miles) from the volcano -- within the exclusion zone set by officials.

Ibu erupted again on Friday morning, spewing a tower of volcanic ash 4,000 metres above its peak, the country's geology agency head Muhammad Wafid said in a statement.

Authorities advised residents and tourists to stay out of the four-to-seven-kilometre exclusion zone and to wear a face mask in case of falling ash.

Ibu is one of Indonesia's most active volcanos, erupting more than 21,000 times last year.

More than 700,000 people lived on Halmahera island as of 2022, according to official figures.

Indonesia, a vast archipelago nation, experiences frequent seismic and volcanic activity due to its position on the Pacific "Ring of Fire".

Last month, Mount Ruang in North Sulawesi province erupted more than half a dozen times, forcing thousands of residents of nearby islands to evacuate.

Its status has since been lowered to the second-highest alert level. - AFP

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Singapore flights to and from New York cancelled as ‘super bomb’ blizzard aims heavy snow at US north-east
Indonesia ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump’s tariffs: Prabowo
Thai authorities find staged foreign government offices during raid on suspected scam hub
US Secret Service agents killed man trying to unlawfully enter Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort
Three people are missing after landfill waste pile collapses near east of Manila in the Philippines
England rout Sri Lanka for 95 to win Super Eights opener; starts with a bang with a 51-run win over host in T20 World Cup
Tragic accident in Vietnam - passenger boat collision kills six, state media says
Former Biden official says US must work with allies to counter China
South Korea protests Japanese event over disputed islands
Malaysia weighs response after US court strikes down Trump tariffs

Others Also Read