Thai ministry endorses bill granting amnesty to owners for surrendering illegal firearms


BANGKOK: The Interior Ministry has finished drafting a bill that will grant amnesty to those who surrender their illegal firearms, the secretary to the interior minister said on Monday (Feb 26).

Traisulee Traisoranakul, secretary to Interior Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, said the minister has endorsed the bill and sent it to the Cabinet Secretariat.

Once the bill is added to the Cabinet agenda, it will be sent to the House of Representatives for deliberation and enacted once it gets the Cabinet nod, Traisulee added.

The bill seeks to reduce crimes committed with firearms or toy guns modified to fire live ammunition.

Traisulee said the government tasked the Interior Ministry with drafting the bill after it was found that 83% of violent crimes from 2016 to 2023 had been committed with illegal firearms, including objects modified as guns.

She said the authorities have learned that the sale of modified guns has been rising and is thus becoming difficult to wipe out. Hence, the government has decided to come up with an amnesty plan to encourage owners of illegal firearms to surrender them without any penalty, Traisulee said. - The Nation/ANN

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Thailand , guns , bill , amnesty

Next In Aseanplus News

EU deforestation regulations seen as opportunity for Cambodia's exporters
Resistance leader in Myanmar turns himself in to army after clashing with rival force
Motorcycling-Aprilia's Martin cleared for MotoGP return at Buriram pre-season test
Top-ranked Jeeno Thitikul moves into contention at her home LPGA tournament in Thailand
‘Dangerous and volatile’ Singapore woman jailed for assaulting four, including cop and elderly victim
New Zealand seeks to abolish dedicated environment ministry
Luang Namtha prepares to receive 1.4 million tourists
Indonesia, US sign trade deal, finalising 19 per cent tariff rate and no levy on goods like coffee
Philippine Palace not accepting apologies over fake President Marcos medical report
Sabah floods: Victims told to prioritise safety as Paitan, Kota Marudu, Pitas declared disaster zones

Others Also Read