Philippine Palace not accepting apologies over fake President Marcos medical report


Vlogger and social media personality Jack Argota appearing before the National Bureau of Investigation after being summoned for allegedly spreading fake medical records of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

MANILA: Malacanang Palace said it would not accept apologies or excuses from persons who recently spread online a fake hospital report on President Marcos’ medical condition, including a vlogger who owned up to the deed when he appeared before investigators on Wednesday (Feb 18).

“The law must be enforced. Those who violate the law must be held accountable,” Palace press officer Claire Castro said.

“Creating content online should not be taken as a joke, especially when it can affect not only the person who made the subject of the content but also the public as a whole, since communities may be exposed to fake news.”

The Palace official issued the statement after vlogger and social media personality Jack Argota appeared before the National Bureau of Investigation, where he faces a complaint for cyberlibel initiated by the bureau itself.

Speaking to reporters after meeting with NBI officials, Argota said he merely reposted the image of the supposed medical report from other social media pages “just to ride the trend and boost engagement.”

He said he thought the document was “legit” because many others had posted it online.

The NBI has also filed a cyberlibel complaints against former broadcaster Jay Sonza and another vlogger, Jeffrey Luces Celiz, also for spreading content based on the fake medical record.

The spurious document surfaced online shortly after President Marcos disclosed on Jan. 22 that he had been diagnosed with diverticulitis, a common intestinal condition.

St. Luke’s Medical Center, whose logo appeared on the posted document, denied its accuracy and authenticity. - Philippine Daily Inquirer/ANN

 

 

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

China beauty influencer returns after three-year hiatus, gaining 10 million followers in a day
Bipartisan committee can help expedite MA63 issues, 40% revenue rights, says Bangkuai
Trump says Iran talks are nearing an end but warns of more strikes
Sze Fei-Izzuddin end nine-year wait for Malaysian Masters final
‘We really do not trust each other’: former US envoy foresees wary new phase in China ties
Climate change threatens global plant species as habitats shrink
US casts Cuba as China-linked security threat while still pushing for talks
Indonesia closes illegal railway crossings to improve safety after several recent tragic incidents
Trump scraps signing AI executive order to keep ‘lead’ over China in industry
Haj pilgrim numbers surpass 2025 arrivals despite Middle East war

Others Also Read