Bali police arrest American for assault, property damage


Tourists catch the sunset on Kuta Beach, Bali. - AFP

JAKARTA (The Jakarta Post/Asia News Network): Local police on Wednesday (April 6) arrested an American, identified as Ryan John Dill, after he allegedly assaulted an employee and damaged property at a cafe in Denpasar, Bali.

Denpasar Police chief Sr Comr Bambang Yugo Pamungkas said the 37-year-old American attacked a female employee with a knife.

“We received information that several other people also sustained minor injuries," Bambang said on Thursday.

Dill was reportedly visiting Diamond Cafe on Jl. Tukad Badung in Denpasar at around 11pm on Wednesday. He was served by an Indonesian woman, identified by her initials WO, who was employed as a waitress at the cafe.

Around half an hour later, Dill allegedly took out a folding knife from his pocket and threatened WO not to leave him, leaving a cut in the woman’s left foot.

“The victim immediately fled and asked for help from other employees.

However, the perpetrator chased the victim and went on a rampage. He damaged the table and pointed a combat knife at other guests at the cafe,” Bambang said.

The incident was reported to the local police.

“We immediately arrested the perpetrator, who was heavily drunk when he went on a rampage at the cafe,” he added.

Police confiscated a folding knife and a combat knife from Dill.

The American could face a maximum 12 years in prison for assault under the Criminal Code. He could also face charges under the 1951 Emergency Law for unlawful possession of a sharp weapon, which carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Immigration authorities in Bali deported a Russian national from Indonesia after he was photographed posing with his trousers around his ankles atop Mount Agung, Bali’s highest mountain and a sacred site in Balinese Hinduism.

A photo of the Russian man posing partly naked on the sacred mountain went viral on social media last month.

Iurii Chilikin, previously reported as Yuri Chilikin, has also been placed on a blacklist that prevents him from returning to Indonesia for at least the next six years.

Sugito, head of the Ngurah Rai Immigration Office, said the 24-year-old tourist was found to have violated provisions on public security and order provisions in the Immigration Law.

Complaints about foreign nationals, including foreign residents, behaving badly in Bali have been on the increase in recent weeks, with some angry Balinese on social media accusing “Russian nationals” of being repeat offenders.

Bali Governor I Wayan Koster sent a letter to the government last month, calling for the removal of visa-on-arrival (VOA) privileges for Russian and Ukrainian nationals.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Indonesia , Bali , tourist , assault

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Defeated Indonesian election candidates call for parliamentary probe
Asian stocks lower after Wall Street losses
Andy Lau’s film 'The Movie Emperor' pulled from cinemas in China
Sabah govt allies focused on people's projects and not polls for now, says Liew
Singapore Tourism Board gave grant for Taylor Swift concerts: Govt
Thailand seeks clampdown on recreational cannabis by year-end
US, European parts found in N.Korean missile in Ukraine: report
Philippine education ministry hit by data leak involving over 210,000 school and tax records
Space-themed tourism takes off in Gobi Desert
Taib Mahmud will be remembered as a respected statesman, says PM

Others Also Read