31 sailors still lost at sea


Out of control: The ‘HTMS Sukhothai’ warship on its side before sinking in the Gulf of Thailand, off the coast of Bang Saphan district in Prachuab Kiri Khan province. — AFP

Navy ships and helicopters were searching for more than two dozen sailors still missing more than 12 hours after a warship sank in rough seas overnight in the Gulf of Thailand.

As at noon, 75 sailors from the HTMS Sukhothai corvette had been rescued and 31 were still in the water, the navy said. The high waves that caused the accident had lessened since Sunday night’s sinking, but were still high enough to endanger small boats, the navy announced.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Hasan Piker talks about his controversial China trip – and ‘thinking Chinese thoughts’
Sabah flood evacuees increase to 4,652 in northern districts
No elements of abuse, bullying found in Trooper Indiran's death, says Khaled
Former Goa governor says he advised Thantri to close Sabarimala temple during 2018 women’s entry row
Ex-Bersatu members welcome to join Umno, says Khaled
World top-ranked Jeeno Thitikul takes third-round lead at her home LPGA Thailand tournament
Scam victims in Singapore lose S$2.9mil in less than three weeks in February after fraudsters pose as officers
When is the best time to open Lunar New Year red packets in the Year of the Horse 2026?
Hongkonger, 63, falls to his death from high-rise while trying to save cat
Laos pushes to promote commercial livestock farming

Others Also Read