Philippines' Duterte fully restores key troop pact with US


Austin, left, signs a guest book as Lorenzana looks on at Camp Aguinaldo military camp in Quezon City, Metro Manila, Philippines on, July 30. - AP

MANILA (Reuters): President Rodrigo Duterte has restored a crucial pact governing the presence of US troops in the Philippines, the two countries' defence ministers said on Friday (July 30), reversing a decision that had caused increasing concern in Washington and Manila.

The Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) provides rules for the rotation of thousands of US troops in and out of the Philippines for war drills and exercises. It has assumed additional importance as the United States and its allies contend with an increasingly assertive China.

Philippine Defence Secretary Delfin Lorenzna said he was unsure why Duterte had reversed himself but made the decision after meeting US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin in Manila on Thursday.

Duterte's decision won't change much on the ground as the pact had not been terminated but it provides stability for both countries.

"This provides certainty for us going forward, we can do long-range planning and do different types of exercises," Austin said during a news conference with his Philippine counterpart.

The Philippines is a US. treaty ally, and several military agreements are dependent on the VFA.

Duterte vowed to terminate the pact after the United States denied a visa to a Philippine senator who is an ally of the president. But he had repeatedly pushed back the expiration date, the last time last month, maintaining it until the end of the year.

For the United States, having the ability to rotate in troops is important not only for the defence of the Philippines, but strategically when it comes to countering China's assertive behaviour in the region.

"(Duterte's decision) opens up significant possibilities for strengthening the alliance that were otherwise closed," said Greg Poling, with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

There are long-standing tensions between the Philippines and China over disputed waters in the South China Sea.

The United States this month repeated a warning to China that an attack on Philippine forces in the South China Sea would trigger a 1951 US.-Philippines mutual defence treaty.

There are, however, still questions about Duterte's unpredictability.

"Some of the celebration is premature... (the VFA) will continue to be under threat so long as Duterte remains president," said Aaron Connelly, with the International Institute for Strategic Studies.

Philippine presidential elections are set for 2022 and while Duterte is barred by the constitution from seeking re-election, his party has been encouraging him to run again for office, as vice president.

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 46
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Join our Telegram channel to get our Evening Alerts and breaking news highlights

Philippines , Duterte , US , troop , agreement

   

Next In Aseanplus News

Hong Kong police arrest three members of student prisoner-support group
411 suicide attempts from March 2020 till Aug this year, Dewan Rakyat told
Protesters call to 'kick out' Thai PM on coup anniversary
Indonesia's most wanted militant killed in jungle shootout - body retrieved from jungle
Middle East's first Expo to open in Dubai under shadow of pandemic
Stock markets in the Philippines, Thailand and Singapore tumbles as policy meetings in central banks set to take centrestage
Oil falls to US$74 on risk-averse mood and, US Gulf output
Hong Kong shares lead Asia lower as big markets Tokyo and Shanghai are closed for holidays
Indonesia's national flag carrier, Garuda Airlines to drastically cut its fleet after suffering huge losses
Vietnam and Cuba seek to bolster all-round ties - Viet President issues resolution on buying 10 million doses of Cuba's vaccine

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers