Boycott and bombings mar Myanmar's new school year


Parents and students are seen in front of a school in Yangon, Myanmar on June 2, 2021. - Reuters

YANGON (Reuters): No more than a quarter of Myanmar's more than 12 million pupils enrolled for the new school year amid a protest boycott against military rule and in the wake of a series of bombings, an official of a teachers' group said.

There were noticeably fewer students at many schools in the main city of Yangon as the new academic year began on Tuesday for the first time since both the Feb 1 coup and the relaxation of curbs imposed last year against the spread of COVID-19.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
Myanmar , coup , protests , school , bombings

Next In Aseanplus News

Chinese scientists develop AI model to push deep-space exploration
Peru’s President Jose Jeri ousted after ‘Chifagate’ scandal tied to Chinese contractor
Singapore to ease measures against Nipah virus outbreak as condition stabilise
Indonesia agrees to eliminate tariffs on over 99% of US goods, says US trade representative
Fashion star and ASOS co-founder Quentin Griffiths dies in Thailand after balcony fall
Ex-Philippine leader Duterte faces pre-trial ICC hearing
UN touts panel for 'human control' of AI at global summit
Two Cambodian journalists appeal treason convictions over a photo from Thai border clash
Spring Festival travel rush dates back to ancient China, but only for the rich and powerful
Makkah's grand mosque welcomes Muslims on the first Friday of Ramadan

Others Also Read