North Korean man in Malaysia challenges US extradition bid


Lawyer Gooi Soon Seng, North Korean embassy counsellor Kim Yu Song and Kang Son-bi, wife of Mun Chol-myong seen at the Jalan Duta court complex for the hearing of her husband, a North Korean man facing extradition from Malaysia to the US on money-laundering, Monday, August 24, 2020. - The Star

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 18, 2020 (AFP): A North Korean man launched a legal challenge on Friday against a US bid to extradite him from Malaysia over allegations he supplied goods to his country in breach of sanctions.

Mun Chol Myong, who has lived in the South-East Asian country with his family for a decade, was arrested last year following an extradition request from Washington.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Aseanplus News

Indonesia president says ready to face all possibilities after US Supreme Court rejects Trump's global tariffs
Pezeshkian says Iran will not bow to pressure amid US nuclear talks
Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Saturday (Feb 21, 2026)
Health Ministry accelerates efforts to strengthen food safety control to achieve target by 2030
Japan issues travel alert for over 50 countries amid Middle East escalation and issues
'Still a shocker' - Audrey Fang's death: Family asks Spain court to extend suspect Mitchell Ong’s detention by two years
Indonesia did not pay US$1bil to join the Board of Peace, says Foreign Minister Sugiono
Thailand and Myanmar hold talks to re-engage with Naypidaw and Asean after strained ties
Golf-Rahm left out as DP World Tour grants LIV releases, Ryder Cup future uncertain
Turkish Red Crescent aid continues to flow into Gaza after the reopening of Rafah crossing

Others Also Read