South Korea scrambling to fight Covid-19 'second wave'


Visitors wearing traditional dress walk through a courtyard of Gyeongbokgung palace in Seoul on Friday (July 3). South Korea has reported 63 newly confirmed cases of Covid-19 as health authorities scramble to mobilise public health tools to the southwestern city of Gwangju, where more than 50 people were found sickened over the past week. - AFP

SEOUL, July 3 (AP): South Korea has reported 63 newly confirmed cases of Covid-19 as health authorities scramble to mobilise public health tools to the southwestern city of Gwangju, where more than 50 people were found sickened over the past week.

The figures announced by the Korea Centresfor Disease Control and Prevention on Friday brought the national caseload to 12,967 infections, including 282 deaths.

Thirty-one of the new cases were reported from the Seoul metropolitan area, which has been at the center of a virus resurgence since late May.

Six of the new cases came from Gwangju, where officials have raised concern over possible shortages in hospital capacities, while 13 of them came from the southeastern city of Daegu, which had been the epicenter of a major outbreak in February and March.

The municipal government of Gwangju, which had one of the smallest caseloads among major South Korean cities before this week, has shut hundreds of schools and banned gatherings at wedding halls, banquet facilities and senior welfare centres to stem the transmissions.

Neighbouring provinces are providing dozens of hospital beds and planning to send medical personnel to help Gwangju deal with the spike of 'second wave' of infections.

Meanwhile, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un urged officials to maintain alertness against the coronavirus, warning that complacency risked "unimaginable and irretrievable crisis,” state media said Friday.

Despite the warning, Kim reaffirmed North Korea’s claim to not have had a single case of Covid-19, telling a ruling party meeting on Thursday that the country has "thoroughly prevented the inroad of the malignant virus” despite the worldwide health crisis.

Outsiders widely doubt North Korea escaped the pandemic entirely.

Describing its anti-virus efforts as a "matter of national existence,” North Korea earlier this year shut down nearly all cross-border traffic, banned tourists and mobilized health workers to quarantine anyone with symptoms. Experts say the country’s self-imposed lockdown is hurting an economy already battered by stringent US-led sanctions over its nuclear weapons and missile program.

The Korean Central News Agency said Kim during the politburo meeting of the Workers’ Party "stressed the need to maintain maximum alert without a slight self-complacence or relaxation” as the virus continues to spread in neighboring countries.

The agency said Kim sharply criticized inattentiveness among officials and violations of emergency anti-virus rules and warned that a "hasty relief of anti-epidemic measures will result in unimaginable and irretrievable crisis.” - AP
Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3
Subscribe now to our Premium Plan for an ad-free and unlimited reading experience!
   

Next In Aseanplus News

Ho Chi Minh City tasked to become South-East Asia’s economic hub by 2030
Myanmar, China hold economic forum to further enhance cooperation
Three arrested in Philippine city Las Pinas over love scam
Could EV charging stations become targets?
China traders hunt for long-term reopening winners after frenzy
No political element in Zahid's appointment, based on Umno's hierarchy, says party sec-gen
Christmas Wonderland at Gardens by the Bay lit up with 103,000-bulb light installation
Kim Jong-un’s ‘most beloved child’ will be his successor: Expert
Coral gets a breather as porcelain frames help create new reefs in Thai seas
Scammer posing as DJ Dave to borrow money

Others Also Read