Selangor to make announcement on water rationing next week


  • Nation
  • Thursday, 07 Aug 2014

KLANG: The Selangor government is expected to make an announcement on a possible water rationing early next week.

Selangor exco in charge of infrastructure and public amenities Dr Ahmad Yunus Hairi said the decision on whether or not to call for a rationing would only be made after a meeting with the water players.

"This time, it will be more organise and the public know prior to a possible rationing," he told reporters after the Selangor Economic Action Council (MTES) Thursday.

Dr Ahmad, however, said the capacity at the dams in Selangor were expected to increase with the reacent rainfall.

In the meantime, the state government has imposed a curfew on car wash operators in the state.

A statement from the Mentri Besar's office said car wash operators were only allowed to operate from 12pm to 6pm with immediate effect until further notice as a step to conserve water as the Sungai Selangor dam dipped closer to the 30% critical mark.

The statement also said that local councils have also been tasked to close down all unlicensed car wash premises in the state.

"Water rationing will be the last resort if all efforts failed," it said.

On the state's current effort to address the water crisis, it said, 700 million litres per day (MLD) had been reduced from the output of the Sungai Selangor while 500 MLD reduction had been made at the Sungai Tinggi dam.

The statement also noted that cloud seeding efforts with the Royal Malaysian Airforce and Meteorological department was being conducted at all water catchments.

As of Thursday, the water level at the Sungai Selangor dam stood at 31.9%.

 

Article type: metered
User Type: anonymous web
User Status:
Campaign ID: 1
Cxense type: free
User access status: 3

Selangor , Dam , Water rationing

   

Next In Nation

Sarawak polls can wait until Covid-19 situation improves, says Abang Johari
Mission to repatriate Malaysians from New Delhi and Mumbai arrives at KLIA
Befrienders: Over 100 calls received daily since start of MCO 3.0
On the spot compound should be issued to SOP violators, says Ismail Sabri
Help us by staying safe, say frontliners
King advises people to stay home to flatten the curve
‘We have to be on guard’
‘We don’t want to decide who lives and who dies’
‘Don’t let our sacrifices be a waste of our efforts’
Hopefully, we can have our lives back next year

Stories You'll Enjoy


Vouchers