Italian police: TikTok choking video incites suicide


Italian investigators have been probing TikTok, a video-sharing network owned by Chinese company ByteDance, since the death last week of a 10-year-old girl who allegedly participated in such a ‘choking game’, in which restricted oxygen to the brain induces a high. — AFP

ROME: Italian police on Jan 28 accused a Sicilian woman of “inciting suicide” for an asphyxiation video she posted on TikTok, a week after a child accidentally died in a so-called blackout challenge.

Police said the video, posted without restrictions on the social media platform by the 48-year-old Sicilian “influencer”, was “extremely dangerous” and able to be viewed by everyone, including children.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tech News

OpenAI developing AI devices including smart speaker, The Information reports
US judge upholds $243 million verdict against Tesla over fatal Autopilot crash
Analysis-New cybersecurity rules for US defense industry create barrier for some small suppliers
Tesla unveils cheaper Cybertruck variant, cuts Cyberbeast price to drive demand
Los Angeles sues Roblox over child exploitation claim
Google Gemini, Apple add music-focused generative AI features
ByteDance building out artificial intelligence team in US
Sony shuts down video-game studio Bluepoint
AppLovin plans Its own social platform after failed TikTok bid
Laser-written glass can store data for millennia, Microsoft says

Others Also Read