INTERACTIVE: Drug addiction in Malaysia and the govt's aim to decriminalise it


A new law is expected to be tabled in Parliament to decriminalise substance abuse in small doses. — AZHAR MAHFOF/The Star.

PETALING JAYA: Every year, an average of about 25,000 drug addicts are arrested nationwide, as it is a crime to use or possess drugs under Malaysian law.

Between 2015 and 2022, most or 95.8% of the drug addicts detained were men, while the remaining 4.2% were women, according to data from the Crime Statistics series released by the Statistics Department.

Limited time offer:
Just RM5 per month.

Monthly Plan

RM13.90/month
RM5/month

Billed as RM5/month for the 1st 6 months then RM13.90 thereafters.

Annual Plan

RM12.33/month

Billed as RM148.00/year

1 month

Free Trial

For new subscribers only


Cancel anytime. No ads. Auto-renewal. Unlimited access to the web and app. Personalised features. Members rewards.
Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!
   

Next In StarPlus

INTERACTIVE: Which district has suffered the most losses from floods?
INTERACTIVE: Cash still king during Aidilfitri, but e-duit Raya gaining ground (Poll Inside)
INTERACTIVE: From bustling town to ‘sleepy hollow’
INTERACTIVE: Rapid ageing and Malaysia’s ‘ghost towns’
INTERACTIVE: Meet Malaysia’s ‘oldest’ sub-district
INTERACTIVE: High temperature alerts have nearly doubled this year
INTERACTIVE: The Baju Melayu
INTERACTIVE: How the jobs mismatch may derail Malaysia’s drive to become a high-income nation
Air quality hits unhealthy levels in three areas
INTERACTIVE: Malaysian teens don't smile for this curious reason

Others Also Read