Tennis-Williams sisters pull out of Wimbledon doubles after Serena injury


Jun 30, 2026; London, United Kingdom; Serena Williams (USA) serves against Maya Joint (AUS) (not pictured) on day two of The Championships Wimbledon 2026 at All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-Imagn Images

LONDON, July 4 (Reuters) - Serena ⁠Williams pulled out of her Wimbledon doubles campaign alongside sister Venus after sustaining ⁠a knee injury during her opening-round singles defeat, stripping the Saturday draw of ‌a major headline act on American Independence Day.

Serena announced the news on social media alongside a video of herself limping with strapping on her right leg, and pictures of large syringes of fluid drained from her knee.

"I'm heartbroken ​to have to withdraw from doubles. Coming back to compete ⁠again has been a gift, and ⁠the opportunity to play alongside @venuswilliams once more meant the world to me," the 44-year-old said ⁠on ‌Instagram.

"I did everything I could but unfortunately my knee just isn't ready to compete.

"The photo of the syringes is the fluid they drained from my knee after my ⁠singles match - yikes! The good news is that my knee ​shouldn't swell or collect that ‌much fluid again.

"The bad news is that, as hard as I tried, I wasn't ⁠able to be ​ready for doubles."

The American's highly anticipated return to Grand Slam tennis after four years away ended in disappointment after a 6-3 6-7(6) 6-3 defeat by Australian youngster Maya Joint on Tuesday.

The Williams sisters, who ⁠have six doubles titles at the All England Club, ​received a wildcard and were drawn to play Solana Sierra and Camila Osorio in the opening round this week.

Serena said after her defeat by Joint she had "tweaked" her right knee at the end ⁠of the first set but would do everything to be ready for action again.

"I'm especially grateful to tournament director Jamie Baker and the entire tournament team for giving me every opportunity to recover," Serena added.

"Thank you to the fans for your incredible support and for making this ​comeback so meaningful ... all I can say is stay tuned to ⁠a city near you ..."

Serena partnered Canadian teenager Victoria Mboko at the WTA event at Queen's Club ​last month but the pair's campaign was cut short after ‌Mboko's knee injury in singles action.

Serena then paired ​up with Czech Karolina Muchova in the Berlin Open but the duo went down in their first match.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in London; Editing by Pritha Sarkar)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury
Tennis-Pegula sets up Swiatek showdown, M&M's help Cobolli move on
Tennis-Alcaraz confirms US Open return after four-month injury layoff
Tennis-Grand Slams create player advisory council amid push for increased prize money
Tennis-US Open announces record $108 million prize purse
Tennis-Bejlek shocks Sabalenka, Paul ousts top seed Zverev in Cincinnati
A tense road to gold
Tennis-Kyrgios provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine
Tennis-Red-hot Nakashima stuns Medvedev to reach Cincinnati fourth round
Tennis-Williams sisters beaten on doubles return at Cincinnati Open

Others Also Read