Tennis-Sinner withdraws from US open due to knee injury


FILE PHOTO: Tennis - Wimbledon - All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, London, Britain - July 12, 2026 Italy's Jannik Sinner in action during his final match against Germany's Alexander Zverev REUTERS/Marko Djurica/File Photo

Aug 21 (Reuters) - World number ⁠one Jannik Sinner has withdrawn from the U.S. Open due ⁠to a persistent right knee injury, the Italian said ‌on Friday, depriving the season's final Grand Slam of one of its biggest contenders.

The 24-year-old, who captured his fifth major title at Wimbledon last month, has not ​played since sustaining the injury earlier this ⁠month.

He pulled out of the ⁠Cincinnati Open and also skipped the Canadian Open, two key hard-court ⁠tune-up ‌events ahead of the Grand Slam tournament in New York.

"Even though I have been working hard with my team ⁠and my medical staff, we have now had ​to make the ‌difficult decision that I will not be able to compete ⁠at the U.S. ​Open this year," Sinner said in a statement posted on X.

"We have been back on court in Monte Carlo over the last couple ⁠of days and have realised that I ​still need more time to recover from my right knee issue."

The announcement comes a day after world number two Carlos Alcaraz confirmed he ⁠would compete at Flushing Meadows following a four-month absence from competitive tennis.

Alcaraz, who beat Sinner in last year's U.S. Open final, now heads to New York as the highest-ranked player and one of ​the favourites to lift the title, despite ⁠recent injury troubles.

Sinner's absence removes one of the Spaniard's biggest rivals and ​could ease his path as he bids ‌for an eighth Grand Slam crown.

The ​U.S. Open runs from August 23 to September 13.

(Reporting by Karan Prashant Saxena in Bengaluru; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Pegula sets up Swiatek showdown, M&M's help Cobolli move on
Tennis-Alcaraz confirms US Open return after four-month injury layoff
Tennis-Grand Slams create player advisory council amid push for increased prize money
Tennis-US Open announces record $108 million prize purse
Tennis-Bejlek shocks Sabalenka, Paul ousts top seed Zverev in Cincinnati
A tense road to gold
Tennis-Kyrgios provisionally suspended after testing positive for cocaine
Tennis-Red-hot Nakashima stuns Medvedev to reach Cincinnati fourth round
Tennis-Williams sisters beaten on doubles return at Cincinnati Open
Tennis-Djokovic falls in Cincinnati heat in first match since Wimbledon

Others Also Read