Tennis-It's 'Hit the road, Jack' as Bublik ends Draper's Paris stay


Tennis - French Open - Roland Garros, Paris, France - June 2, 2025 Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik hugs Britain's Jack Draper after winning his fourth round match REUTERS/Lisi Niesner

PARIS (Reuters) - Britain's Jack Draper was sent packing from the French Open when he stumbled to a 5-7 6-3 6-2 6-4 fourth-round defeat against mercurial Kazakh Alexander Bublik on Monday.

The result ended the British presence in the singles at Roland Garros as Draper, seeded fifth, lost the plot after a promising opening set against Bublik, who will now face Russia's Andrey Rublev or world number one Jannik Sinner of Italy.

Draper, who had never got past the first round in Paris before this year, burst into the limelight by reaching the U.S. Open semi-finals in 2024 and had high hopes for the clay court Grand Slam having reached the Madrid Open final last month.

But Bublik tortured him with a barrage of drop shots (37), 12 of them winners, as he showed his full potential on the biggest stage to reach his maiden Grand Slam quarter-final.

"You know, sometimes in life there is only one chance and I had the feeling that today was mine, I was not going to let it slide," an emotional Bublik said on court.

"Standing here is the best moment of my life, period. That's amazing, merci mesdames et messieurs," he told the crowd, who broke into chants of 'Bubu, Bubu!'.

"I'm standing here like I won the thing. I can't cry here, let me be in peace, I'm a professional tennis player, I've got one more match, I've got to get ready."

After getting the measure of Draper's heavy hitting, Bublik loosened up and the last three sets were one-sided.

Things got tight when he served for the match as the man who took a trip to Vegas to unwind so he could come back and outplay the 'Robots' on the circuit served two double faults and got a taste of his own medicine when Draper set up break point with a superb drop shot.

But Bublik, who will be back in the top 50 after a free-fall from 17th place, closed it out with a big serve to the delight of the supporting crowd.

(Reporting by Julien Pretot; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz downs Fils to win Qatar Open, extends perfect start to the year
Tennis-Pegula beats Svitolina in straight sets in Dubai final
Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha

Others Also Read