Tennis-Pegula, Collins, Kessler withdraw from U.S. BJK Cup team


Tennis - Australian Open - Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia - January 17, 2025 Jessica Pegula of the U.S. in action during her third round match against Serbia's Olga Danilovic REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) -Jessica Pegula, Danielle Collins and McCartney Kessler have withdrawn from the United States' Billie Jean King Cup team, the USTA said on Wednesday, with a handful of newcomers rounding out the group ahead of the qualifying stage.

Alycia Parks, Bernarda Pera and Hailey Baptiste were named to the U.S. team, along with BJK Cup veterans Asia Muhammad and Desirae Krawczyk.

The United States are hoping to bounce back after exiting the finals against Slovakia in the first round last year and the will face the country again on the 13th after meeting Denmark on Saturday.

The qualifying stage features 18 countries in six round-robin groups with the finals set for November.

(Reporting by Amy Tennery in New York)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz downs Fils to win Qatar Open, extends perfect start to the year
Tennis-Pegula beats Svitolina in straight sets in Dubai final
Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha

Others Also Read