Tennis-Tunisia's Jabeur pulls out of US Open


FLE PHOTO: Aug 7, 2024; Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Ons Jabeur (TUN) serves against Naomi Osaka (JPN, not shown) in second round play at Sobeys Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Dan Hamilton-USA TODAY Sports/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Tunisian Ons Jabeur has pulled out of the U.S. Open, tournament organisers said on Thursday, the latest disappointment for the 2022 finalist in an injury-riddled season.

She withdrew from the Citi Open earlier this month, citing a right shoulder injury, and in June was forced to retire from the Berlin Open in the quarter-finals. She missed the Paris Olympics because of knee issues.

Jabeur, a two-time Wimbledon finalist, lost her most recent match earlier this month against Naomi Osaka in the opening round in Toronto.

Following Jabeur's withdrawal, Elise Mertens will take over the Tunisian's place in the draw after being installed as the 33rd seed. A qualifier or lucky loser will take the Belgian's place in the draw.

(Reporting by Amy Tennery in New York)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title
Tennis-Shelton rallies from set down to claim Dallas Open title
Tennis-Third time lucky De Minaur dominates Auger-Aliassime to win Rotterdam Open
Fritz and Shelton set up all-American Dallas Open final

Others Also Read