Tennis-Alcaraz uncertain about Madrid title defence due to arm injury


Mar 28, 2024; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Carlos Alcaraz (ESP) hits a backhand against Grigor Dmitrov (BUL) (not pictured) on day eleven of the Miami Open at Hard Rock Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

(Reuters) - World number three Carlos Alcaraz has cast doubt on his Madrid Open title defence later this month as the Spaniard nurses a right arm injury that has forced him to miss key tune-up events for the French Open.

The 20-year-old successfully defended his Indian Wells title last month and then reached the Miami Open quarter-finals before sustaining the injury in his first practise session for the Monte Carlo Masters.

The two-times Grand Slam champion was unable to play in Monaco and then had to pull out of the Barcelona Open.

"My feeling isn't right, but it is what it is. Now I'm fully focused on recovery and I have a little more time," Alcaraz told reporters in Barcelona on Monday, a day after he decided not to defend his title.

"My goal is to try and go to the Madrid Open, but at the moment nothing is certain. I was given specific recovery times and I've respected them, but I haven't felt good. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

"I can't say I'll be 100% in Madrid, but that's my intention. We'll train and do everything we can so that the feelings improve so I can play a match ... It's also a very special tournament for me."

Should he be unable to recover in time for the April 24-May 5 Masters tournament in Madrid, Alcaraz could still get some claycourt action in ahead of the French Open by competing in Rome the following week.

The main draw at the year's second Grand Slam at Roland Garros begins on May 26. Alcaraz reached the semi-finals last year.

(Reporting by Shrivathsa Sridhar in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter Rutherford)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Pegula beats Svitolina in straight sets in Dubai final
Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title

Others Also Read