Tennis-Swiatek pulls out of Guadalajara


Tennis - U.S. Open - Flushing Meadows, New York, United States - September 1, 2023 Poland's Iga Swiatek celebrates winning her third round match against Slovenia's Kaja Juvan REUTERS/Brendan Mcdermid/File photo

(Reuters) - Iga Swiatek has withdrawn from the penultimate WTA 1000 event of the season in Guadalajara this month to stay fit for the rest of an "intense" season, the world number two said on Wednesday.

The 22-year-old Pole was beaten by Jelena Ostapenko in the U.S. Open fourth round last week, a defeat which meant Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus took over as the top-ranked player.

The Star Festive Promo: Get 35% OFF Digital Access

Monthly Plan

RM 13.90/month

Best Value

Annual Plan

RM 12.33/month

RM 8.02/month

Billed as RM 96.20 for the 1st year, RM 148 thereafter.

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Tennis

Tennis-Alcaraz defeats Rublev to reach Qatar Open final against Fils
Tennis-Svitolina downs Gauff, Pegula fights back to beat Anisimova in Dubai semis
Tennis-Players run for cover as honey bees swarm Bengaluru stadium
Tennis-Badosa slams online 'disrespect' after Dubai injury retirement
Tennis-WTA forms special council to overhaul congested calendar amid player concerns
Tennis-Ruzic grabs Dubai spotlight as lucky loser shocks Raducanu
Tennis-Lucky losers step in as withdrawals shake Dubai draw, reignite calendar debate
Tennis-Alcaraz says he still has 'weaknesses' ahead of return in Doha
Tennis-Cerundolo ends Argentina Open heartbreak with maiden home title
Tennis-Shelton rallies from set down to claim Dallas Open title

Others Also Read