Motor racing-Mercedes have 100% belief in Antonelli, says Wolff


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, Budapest, Hungary - August 2, 2025 Mercedes' Andrea Kimi Antonelli ahead of practice REUTERS/Jakub Porzycki/File Photo

ZANDVOORT, Netherlands (Reuters) -Mercedes have expressed full support for Kimi Antonelli after the teenaged Italian Formula One rookie sent Ferrari's Charles Leclerc crashing out of Sunday's Dutch Grand Prix.

Team boss Toto Wolff said it was always going to be a learning year, a rollercoaster of brilliance and hair-tearing frustration, and the Zandvoort weekend provided a good example.

Antonelli, who has just turned 19, collided with Leclerc after both pitted and the Italian tried to overtake.

Race stewards handed out a 10 second penalty for causing the collision, and another five seconds for speeding in the pitlane, dropping Antonelli to 16th.

"We want to have a driver that has speed, that is fast, that learns, that scores the points," Wolff told reporters. "But all the big ones make mistakes.

"Kimi, an 18-year-old thrown in this mammoth of a team representing Mercedes, he's going to make mistakes -- hopefully fewer mistakes next year and score bigger points. But my 100% belief is in him on the long-term."

Wolff said he had spoken to Antonelli after the race and "you just want to hug him, cuddle him, because he has that talent, the raw speed that is in him, and he copes well."

Antonelli was announced as a Mercedes race driver at Monza last year, when he was just 18, and returns to the circuit near Milan this weekend as Italy's sole F1 driver but also under something of a cloud.

Colliding with a Ferrari is never a good feeling for any Italian but Wolff felt the team's ardent fans would be understanding.

"I was thinking in the race what would have been had Kimi overtaken the Ferrari?," said the Austrian, whose team took current Ferrari driver Lewis Hamilton to six of his seven titles.

"And I think the people in Italy would have been happy. Italian fans want an Italian driver that is fighting, that pushes the car to the limit and sometimes over the limit ... the Italian fans don't want to have a hesitating driver.

"I'm sure that Kimi doesn't want to take a Ferrari out particularly but it is what it is. It's hard racing ... we want him to go for the moves and he should."

Antonelli is sure to continue with Mercedes next season alongside George Russell, despite new agreements yet to be signed.

"We're continuing with both of them, of course," said Wolff.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Leclerc fastest for Ferrari on final day of F1 testing
Motor racing-Russell concerned by Ferrari's fast starts and his slow ones
Motor racing-Honda battery issue adds to Aston Martin's testing woes
Motor racing-F1 will thrill in new engine era and Verstappen sure to stay, Domenicali says
Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments
Motor racing-Verstappen says new F1 car is "not much fun to drive"

Others Also Read