Motor racing-Honda battery issue adds to Aston Martin's testing woes


Formula One F1 - Pre Season Testing - Bahrain International Circuit, Sakhir, Bahrain - February 19, 2026 Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso in action during pre-season testing REUTERS/Hamad I Mohammed

Feb 20 (Reuters) - Aston Martin's woes deepened ⁠on Friday after a Honda power unit issue sidelined the team on the ⁠final day of Formula One's pre-season testing in Bahrain.

The Silverstone-based team have completed ‌far less mileage than rivals, turning up late for an initial shakedown in Barcelona and then struggling with reliability in the two Bahrain tests.

Engine partner Honda said in a statement that a battery-related issue had impacted Fernando Alonso's ​stint in the Adrian Newey-designed car on Thursday.

"Since then, we ⁠have been carrying out simulations on ⁠the test bench in HRC (Honda Racing Corporation) Sakura. Due to this and a shortage of power ⁠unit ‌parts, we have adapted today's (Friday's) run plan to be very limited and consist only of short stints."

Canadian Lance Stroll, who was due to be in the car all ⁠day and whose father Lawrence controls the team, appeared on ​track for an installation ‌lap just before the lunchtime break but failed to set a time.

That compared to ⁠Ferrari's Charles Leclerc, ​who was fastest, doing 80 laps.

"We are not where we wanted to be. We have not done many laps but we have an enormous amount of data for Australia," team director Pedro de la Rosa ⁠told Sky Sports television.

Alonso told reporters on Thursday that ​he had no doubt about Newey's abilities.

"We need to unlock more performance," said the double world champion. "We're still going step-by-step into the car. We are a little bit on the back foot, ⁠we have to admit that, but hopefully there is time to improve.

"On the chassis there is no doubt, we have the best with us. After 30-plus years of Adrian Newey dominating the sport, I think no one will doubt that we will find a way to have ​the best car eventually," added the Spaniard.

"On the power unit, we ⁠need to wait and see when we unlock all the performance, where we are and what ​is missing, and then work hard."

Luxury sportscar maker Aston ‌Martin earlier suffered a more than 4% drop in ​its share price after warning of a bigger annual loss than the market expected.

The season starts in Australia on March 8.

(Reporting by Alan BaldwinEditing by Christian Radnedge)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-F1 will thrill in new engine era and Verstappen sure to stay, Domenicali says
Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments
Motor racing-Verstappen says new F1 car is "not much fun to drive"
Motor racing-Alpine to leave World Endurance Championship at end of 2026 to focus on F1
Motor racing-Norris fastest on first day of Bahrain testing but Verstappen catches the eye
Motor racing-Hamilton says further race engineer change will be 'detrimental' to him

Others Also Read