Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes


Formula One F1 - Monaco Grand Prix - Circuit de Monaco, Monaco - May 24, 2025 Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff ahead of practice REUTERS/Piroschka Van De Wouw/File Photo

Feb 19 (Reuters) - Mercedes boss Toto Wolff ⁠has accused rival Formula One manufacturers of ganging up against his team to put pressure on ⁠the governing FIA to change the engine rules, but said it would make no difference.

The ‌Austrian was speaking at pre-season testing in Bahrain on Thursday, a day after the FIA announced an e-vote proposal to close a suspected loophole by proposing a change from August.

Rivals have accused Mercedes, who supply four teams including champions McLaren,of exploiting a grey area ​to gain performance through compression ratios and thermal expansion of engine ⁠components.

Wolff told reporters the pre-season favourites would ⁠accept the rule change but questioned the way it had been brought about.

"Either we stay with the ⁠regulations ‌like we are or the e-vote goes ahead on Friday with the proposal that came from the FIA. Both are OK for us," he said.

"We said all along that this looks like a ⁠storm in a teacup.

"It doesn't change anything for us, whether we ​stay like this or whether we ‌change the new regulations. We also want to be good citizens in the sport."

Wolff said ⁠he could understand the ​concern if the performance numbers being put around were close to the truth.

"If you have four other PUs (power units) that are putting immense pressure on the FIA at a certain stage, what choice do we have than not to play?," ⁠he asked.

Ferrari, Audi, Red Bull and Honda are the other ​power unit providers, with all facing a big challenge this season as Formula One starts a new engine era.

"You've developed a component to the regulations and that's been confirmed and then everybody else gangs up and says ⁠it's illegal. The regulators are being put under pressure. Is that how it should go?," said Wolff.

"Philosophically I disagree. But that's what has happened the last 50 years in Formula One and this time we were on the receiving end. I guess the next time maybe we will be ganging up against somebody else ​because we believe it's not right."

There has been media speculation also that Mercedes ⁠have had a problem with certifying their 100% sustainable fuel but Wolff said those reports were wrong.

"This is ​another of the stories. We were told compression ratio is something ‌that we were illegal (with), which is total bullshit. And now ​the next story comes up that our fuel is illegal," he said.

"Maybe tomorrow we're inventing something else."

The season starts in Australia on March 8.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin; Editing by Ken Ferris)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments
Motor racing-Verstappen says new F1 car is "not much fun to drive"
Motor racing-Alpine to leave World Endurance Championship at end of 2026 to focus on F1
Motor racing-Norris fastest on first day of Bahrain testing but Verstappen catches the eye
Motor racing-Hamilton says further race engineer change will be 'detrimental' to him
Youngster Qabil sets the track ablaze in Moto4 official testing
From rival to partner

Others Also Read