Motor racing-Verstappen 'likes' post criticising Red Bull's treatment of Lawson


FILE PHOTO: Formula One F1 - F1 75 Live Season Launch - The O2, London, Britain - February 18, 2025 Red Bull's Max Verstappen and Liam Lawson during the launch REUTERS/Andrew Boyers/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Red Bull's Max Verstappen has 'liked' an Instagram post by former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde criticising the team for dropping New Zealander Liam Lawson just two rounds into the season.

Lawson's demotion back to the Racing Bulls sister outfit, in a straight swap with Yuki Tsunoda, means Verstappen will have his third teammate in four races in Japan next week.

Verstappen's Dutch compatriot Van der Garde, who raced 19 times for now-defunct Caterham in 2013, said he was "getting a bit tired of" the narrative of having to deliver under pressure or face the consequences.

"Yes, you gotta perform. Yes, the pressure is insane. But in my opinion this comes closer to bullying or a panic move than actual high athlete achievements," he said.

"They made a decision -- fully aware -- gave Liam two races only to crush his spirit.

"Don't forget the dedication, hard work and success Liam has put in his career so far to achieve the level where he is now... yes, he underperformed the first two races -- but if anyone's aware of that it's himself."

Van der Garde urged Lawson to "trust yourself, get your head up, prove them wrong".

Those who liked the post included Verstappen's Instagram account and that of former Red Bull driver Pierre Gasly, who also lost his place alongside the now-four times world champion in 2019.

Dutch media have reported that Verstappen, who has not commented directly, was unhappy with the decision to drop Lawson.

(Reporting by Alan Baldwin, editing by Toby Davis)

Follow us on our official WhatsApp channel for breaking news alerts and key updates!

Next In Motorsport

Motor racing-Leclerc fastest for Ferrari on final day of F1 testing
Motor racing-Russell concerned by Ferrari's fast starts and his slow ones
Motor racing-Honda battery issue adds to Aston Martin's testing woes
Motor racing-F1 will thrill in new engine era and Verstappen sure to stay, Domenicali says
Motor racing-Norris amused by reaction to his comments on new F1 cars
Motor racing-Wolff accuses F1 engine rivals of ganging up against Mercedes
Motor racing-Barcelona to stay on F1 calendar, to alternate with Belgium until 2032
Motor racing-Mercedes end first Bahrain F1 test one-two on the timesheets
Motor racing-Formula E boss invites Verstappen to try electric after F1 car comments
Motor racing-Verstappen says new F1 car is "not much fun to drive"

Others Also Read